Chapter 5

I trudged like a zombie in my apartment for the next several hours, lying on the couch in a constant cycle of crying, Seinfeld, and more crying. I couldn't bring myself to eat anything - I just couldn't. Sometimes I'd get up to use the bathroom, but then I'd lay myself right back down on the couch, snuggled underneath my Tardis blanket. I felt completely awful. Everything was hopeless - hopeless and dark - without him in my life. He was like a shooting star, so gorgeous and fleeting. And part of me died inside every time the thought came that perhaps he really is the one. Or, was. I cried some more and hid my face in my arms, wishing I could hide all of me.

And then....

Knock knock knock.

I sniffed and looked up. Someone was at my door. But how? Visitors always have to be buzzed in. Unless....

No...it couldn't be.

I got up and peeked through the peephole.

It was Jimmy. But not just Jimmy alone - Jimmy with a guitar strapped to him. I held my breath and opened the door.

He didn't say a word. He just started to play.

The chords were familiar, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I racked my tired brain as much as I could, but to no avail - until he started to sing.

"If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me."

Oh my gosh. He's singing me "Thank You".

"Kind woman, I give you my all, Kind woman, nothing more.
Little drops of rain whisper of the pain, tears of loves lost in the days gone by.
My love is strong, with you there is no wrong,
together we shall go until we die. My, my, my.
An inspiration is what you are to me, inspiration, look... see."

There was so much emotion in his voice, he had to stop. "I can't...I can't finish it," he said. He looked down at the floor and paused for a minute, then looked straight into my teary eyes. "Tasha," he said. "I don't know why life is real. I don't know a lot of things. But I know why you were born, and I know why I was born. We were born to be together." A tear finally fell from my eyes. I didn't bother to wipe it.

"I know."

He reached out and took my hand. "Then what is it? Tell me. You can tell me anything. I could never not care about you." More tears fell and I leapt into his arms, hugging him tight like I used to hug my teddy bear when I was afraid. Maybe because I was afraid - I was afraid of losing him. But now he was back, and I was going to do everything in my power to never let him go again.

I let him inside and shut the door. We sat on the couch and I poured out my heart, telling him everything Adam had said. "I didn't want to let him down," I explained. "I wasn't choosing him over you, by any means, but he's worked so hard and I'm so loyal to him. It made me mess up and I'm so so sorry."

"Hey, it's alright," he said, taking my hands again. "Don't you worry about it for one minute. It would take a lot more than that to make me give up on you."

I flashed a teary smile. He kissed my forehead. "Yes, I've been divorced a year. Yes, there's an age difference. But, you know what, Natasha Quinn? I fell for you the minute I first saw you and I don't care what anybody thinks about it."

"I've fallen for you, too...you weirdo," I said with a chuckle, poking him on the arm. He laughed gently and pulled me in, cradling me softly as the crying had finally stopped. And there we sat for a while, cuddling on the couch, Salt wandering around the living room looking at us like we were totally insane. "But I still think we should be chill about this."

"How do you mean?" he asked.

I sat up so he could hear me better. "Well, the press will have a heyday with this - with us - and I'm not exactly sure if it would be positive or negative."

He nodded, but I could see a little hint of betrayal in his dark eyes.

"I'm not ashamed of you, Jimmy," I said, running my fingers through his messy hair. He smiled. "I just think it would be better for us if we just...."

"Hid our relationship?"

"Well....," I replied, "....yeah."

He nodded again. "Okay. If it means I get to be your boyfriend, then fi - "

"I KNOW WHAT YOU WAAAANT," I sang in a high falsetto. Jimmy's face turned from serious to a mix of glee and terror.

"AND I KNOW WHAT YOU NEEED," I cackled, "oh, c'mon, I had to!!"

"That song is awful!" he laughed. "I can't believe you even know it!"

"Aw, it's not that bad!" I defended, "I mean, have you seen the music video?? That's one dude who can pull of guyliner, let me tell you."

"Uh, wait...you do know who - ?"

"BUT IMA SCREW IT UP, YEAH. 'CAUSE I'M AN IDIOT - AND I'M YOUR BOYFRIEEEEND," I laughed for ages. "Yeah, I know exactly who sings that song." He blushed and turned away for a second.

"The guyliner?? Really???"

"Yes," I said. "Attractive. The first time I saw it, I almost died."

"Because it was so bad?"

"No! Because you were so gorgeous!" I laughed. "Well, are." He blushed harder. "Anyways, what do you wanna do tonight?"

"Hmm...we could stay in."

"I'd like that."

"Do you wanna watch something - besides my awful music videos from the early 2000s??"

"Dang it...how did you know that's exactly what I would pick?" I said jokingly. "No wait - actually, I wanted to watch something else."

"What?"

"......Fever Pitch."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO," he collapsed onto the couch quite in the manner I had the night before. I laughed at his reaction.

"Not really!" I said. "Though I do like that one...hmm...how do you feel about The Sixth Sense?"

He sat up, eyes widened. "Uh...it's good, but every time I watch it I can't sleep for weeks."

"Same! Maybe we should pick something else."

"Uh, yeah - unless you're gonna let me spend the night, because...."

Suddenly the room fell silent, save for Salt chomping on her cat food in the kitchen. I looked away. "You can stay," I said, "but no funny business."

"Noted."

"We can cuddle, but that's it. And tomorrow, we have to be really careful when you leave."

"Gotcha."

"Okay...now let's scare ourselves silly!"