Chapter 10

"Amy told me...a while ago that if your pups start to kick too much--not saying that'll happen just yet--you should go take a dip in the hot springs. Just something I thought you should know before I forget it again." Shadow said as the mates walked out into the forest and away from the camp.

''I can't wait to feel them moving,'' Sonic giggled, ''I just hope they don't kick too hard.''

And then he thought of something.

''How many do you think we'll have?"

Shadow pondered it before saying, "I have no clue, but in my pack--since it's so cold--a normal amount of pups is two. So around that many I assume."

''I was hoping the same amount,'' he chuckled.

Shadow's nose twitched, he sniffed the air almost thinking something was...off. He quickly dismissed it and answered Sonic, "Though, you could have more. I wouldn't mind at all if you did."

''You wouldn't?" Sonic asked with a smile.

Not at all. In fact...I want at least three." Shadow said. The reasoning behind it being that he and Maria had two pups--two that were born at least since his former mate had been carrying when she passed. He wanted at least one more then that from Sonic so he wouldn't have to remember...not like he'd tell Sonic that was why.

''I think four would be even better,'' Sonic smiled as they continued to walk and talk.

Shadow chuckled, "You would think that, wouldn't you love?"

''If only it would make you happy, love,'' Sonic purred, walking closer to his mate and nuzzling him affectionately.

Shadow smiled. Everything was perfect-- all of it. This was the perfect family...or almost-family.

Shadow's nose twitched again. Yeah, something was off.

Sonic then looked over at Shadow, having noticed he'd stopped in his tracks.

''What's wrong?"

"Something's not right..." Shadow muttered, looking around. And that was exactly when three wolves attacked them.

''Aaahh!!" Sonic screamed, right after a large grey wolf lunged at him, snapping his jaws extremely close to his neck.

Shadow snarled and snapped his own jaws around the gray wolf's neck, tearing out his esophagus, instantly killing the wolf before battering at the other smaller females, both of them trying to get to Sonic.

Sonic panted as he tried to run away or at least get close to Shadow for protection. But, every single time he thought he had an opening, one of the other wolves would quickly jump in his path, snarling and snapping at his legs.

''Shadow, do somethi- - AAAHHH!!!" he screamed as one of the females had come behind him and latched onto his right hind leg, clamping down and sinking her teeth deep into flesh and bone as she slammed him harshly down to the ground, causing him to land on his stomach with a pained yelp.

Shadow was there in a flash, tearing the she-wolf's head from her body. He looked around for the remaining female, but she was gone. Though, he had no time to ponder that. He bent down, frantically asked Sonic if he was alright, nuzzling and sniffing him all the while.