Part 2

India went to the library that afternoon to do some research on Melody, and found out more about the girl than she wanted to.

Not too long before Melody came to Russellville, she was in the paper a few towns over, Maple Point. Mrs. Frazier, the town widow, had a sister who lived there and she visited and told her all about what had happened. Melody's house had burned down and no one could believe it had happened. Reading the article, India could clearly see why.

"A fire broke out at the Barker Residence this evening, leaving three dead. The victims being the well respected family that lived there. Forty-five year old Aaron Barker, thirty-two year old Karen Price Barker , and six year old Julia Price Barker." India's breath caught at the age of the last victim. She was so young. Tears started to sting her eyes and she quickly wiped them away. No, she chastised herself, Focus Indie. She continued to read.

"There was, however, one survivor of the fatal fire. 'I was with my best friend, Anna Kendrick, down the street at Yorkies Burgers,' fourteen year old Melody Price Barker told reporter Hillary Scout. She went on to say she had walked into the house when the smell of smoke invaded her nostrils. The basement door flew off and she saw the fire in the basement and left the premises. She stated, 'I left just like my parents had taught me. I managed to call the police before the realization that my family was still-' She broke into tears before she could finish. The entire family had been asleep on the upper level of the house and had died from inhaling fatal amounts of carbon dioxide before the fire even reached them. The Barker family was respected and loved by everyone. Mr. Barker being a dedicated educator, Mrs. Barker a phenomenal surgeon, and no one could forget little Julie Barker, she brought light to all of our lives. The entire family will be dearly missed."

India had no idea who the only living member of the family was. But looking at the story and seeing the pictures, there was no denying, "Melody Staples is Melody Price Barker!" A couple of people shushed her as she yelled her discovery, bolting from her seat. "Sorry." She went back to her research, blushing, and found another article.

"After days of searching detectives have made new discoveries. The question of 'How was the doomed family not alerted of the fire blazing in there basement?' has been answered. Detectives found the alarms had been tampered with and hadn't went off and so the family had no idea flames were rushing to meet them from the depths of their home.

They also discovered the cause of the fire. A stuffed rabbit had been set ablaze and thrown into the basement. Moments after this information had been released to the public they found Melody Price Barker, the only survivor of the Barker family who had been in the hospital under close watch for signs of carbon inhale, had left and was no longer in her hospital bed. After questioning Anna Kendrick, Melody's supposed best friend, detectives found Melody was in fact not with her that fateful day. Detectives have reason to believe Melody started the fire that killed her entire family."

India's face pulled in confusion. "Melody killed her family?" She gasped then. "Melody is a fugitive?" She said baffled.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

India jumped up, startled, then regained her composure when she saw Melody. She scowled, clutching the desk top. "Melody."

A smile spread across her perfect face that India now for sure knee hid frightening secrets. What else was this girl capable of? "India. You doing a little research?"

India held her head high, realising melody probably wanted to see her afraid. She leaned back casually and crossed her arms. "Yeah. You know you can find out a lot on the internet?"

Something akin to evil flashed behind Melody's eyes, momentarily darkening her smug expression. "Even more than you bargained for." India made a noise in agreement, not dropping her act. Melody's face fell and her expression almost made India pee her pants. "You should have just left it alone India. It wasn't your business."

India smirked and pushed off of that desk taking a step or two closer to the other girl. "On the contrary. I think it is everyone's business to know that we have a serial killer living in our midst."

Melody's eye twitched and she balled and unballed her fist. India's smirk grew. The girl was either unaware she was playing with fire or she was brave enough- or stupid enough- to do it knowingly. Melody smiled a sickly sweet smile. "Aw India. How sweet of you to call me a serial killer."

India allowed a look of disgust to cross her face and she rushed the girl until she was standing with her toe to toe. "You're disgusting," she snarled. "They were your family."

Melody rolled her eyes. "Just like you they should have minded their own business and maybe they could have lived."

A pinch of fear crossed the small girls face and she took a small shaky step back. "Are you going to kill me?"

Melody smiled and cocked her head giving her the appeal of a deranged puppy. "I don't know India," she once again closed the distance, "-am I?" India's eyes grew wide in fear and a sinister cackle left Melody's mouth.

India stood tall yet again on shaky legs with her heart threatening to beat out of her throat. "I won't give you the chance to dispose of me nor myself the opportunity to find out if you will."

The look of the rabid puppy took its place back on her face. "Oh? And how do you plan on doing that?"

"By showing it to the entire town!" India hurriedly rushed to the computer and posted the article onto the towns website.

Melody's psychotic laughter sent shards of ice down India's spine. She whirled on the girl. "Do you feel proud of yourself?"

"Yes I do actually." India said her voice faltering. I just exposed her. Why is she smiling?

"Take another look at what you sent," Melody said smiling joyfully walking out of the building.

India slowly turned back toward the computer monitor, a nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach making her want to curl up in a ball and weep for days . "What is she-" A strangled scream ripping from her throat interupted her sentence as she took another look at the pictures and attached article she had just put up for the entire world to see. "Tha-That's...ME!!"