Part 1

For thousands of years vampires have been nothing but stuff of legend, monsters that hide in the shadows and drain the life of the living.
For so long they had been nothing more than horror stories made up to scare you into staying indoors, making the concept of leaving your home or inviting someone inside past a certain time too horrifying to even consider.
Then their stories started to change, they became handsome and brooding dream men, creatures that no longer filled people with dread as they stalked the nightmares of humans but rather filled the dreams of teenage girls who were amazed by the idea of an immortal lover who would love them for eternity.
Vampires were more than just mere fantasy, though, they were real and for many years they had watched from the shadows, ignored and mocked by the humans that ruled the light, coming out at night and luring in teenagers who found themselves out past sundown on drunken weekends.
They had kept hidden away for longer than anyone could remember.
That was until the darkness came.
Humans had pushed the earth too far, defying nature and spilling their polluting and smoke into Mother Nature's face and it started to build up and the sky became darkened, blanketing the world in an eternal night.
The vampires took this as their chance, nature finally converting to their side and they let themselves go, feeding to their hearts content, waiting for the humans who hid inside their homes to attempt to escape in order to find some form of food, they were patient, they enjoyed the thrill, they were willing to wait.
Eventually the human race depleted, in danger of becoming extinct from the constant feeding, so many had been killed and with those who became vampires only made it more complicated for them.
One family had decided it had gone too far, a family of Japanese vampires known as the Yagami Clan took control, as a family of some of the most powerful vampires in the world there wasn't much anyone could do to defy them and they changed the world the vampires knew.
Human's had been split into two groups, the head of the Yagami family, Soichiro, had decided that the more intelligent and/or physically able humans would be sold and traded as slaves, the owners permitted to treat them how they like.
The others were used as live stock, locked in pens and bred and slaughtered, feeding the vampires much in the same way pigs and chickens had fed humans for so long.
The Yagami family had become so powerful in the vampire world they became famous as the royal family of vampires, they had control and they had power, no one could defy them.
Their were, of course, rogues, humans who thought against the vampires, determined to win against them, to fight against the vampires and take control again but they never lasted very long.
The reign of humans had ended, it was the era of vampires now, and humans were nothing.

Light Yagami, the charming and intelligent vampire prince, his mousy hair and almond eyes only added to his handsome features.
He stood tall and proud, a handsome young vampire who had been at his 'fathers' side for hundreds of years.
Light was not Soichiro's biological child, of course, vampires were incapable of procreation, when the boy was eighteen years old he had been chosen by the king, he was turned because of his high intelligence, Soichiro knew the boy would make a remarkable vampire.
He had been proven to be almost a perfect specimen of vampire kind, he was sought after by many female vampires, knowing that mating with him to offer them great power but every time they were turned down, the boy seeming to have no interest in women.
"You have to choose"
Light rolled his eyes as the slave driver spoke to him, arms crossed over his chest as Light examined the humans that kneeled before him.
They were all the same, dirty, tired and the way they looked at him was always the same too, their eyes were filled with either fear or hatred, some had a combination of the two.
They all sat before him, naked and scarred, they were chained together in a row and he couldn't deny that they were fine specimens.
The men were physically fit, well built with fine muscles and strong looking arms and legs and the women were perfectly shaped, slim with plump breasts and thighs.
None of them interested him though, they were all boring, they all looked strangely pitiful and unintelligent, he didn't care much for strength or appearance, he wanted one that could assist him in his studies.
That's when one caught his eye, this one was very different to the others, he was slim, so slim that Light could see the man's ribs under his ghostly pale skin, his eyes were large and circled with dark bags, his eyes were so dark they could have been black and he stared up at Light and there was nothing in those eyes, no hatred, no fear, he was simply looking at him, staring through the strands and scraggly black hair that fell over his eyes.
"That one...he doesn't look physically strong"
Light motioned towards the pale human and the slave driver nodded, moving towards him and grabbing hold of that long, thick raven hair.
"He doesn't look like much but I can assure you, your highness, he's a rare one, he's incredibly intelligent, we measured his IQ, it's estimated to be around 200"
Almost as high as my own, Light thought as the slave driver went on.
"He also doesn't fight, doesn't shout, curse or struggle, I don't think I've only ever heard him speak a few times, he just stares, like he's watching us. He's fast too, a surprising creature"
"How much?" Light asked, not taking his eyes away from those dark eyes that stared back at him, this human fascinated to no end, he knew he had to have this one.
"Your majesty? He's hardly suitable to be a guard, surely you'd like one of the others?"
"I have no interest in a guard, I want that one, you've talked him up enough and now my interest has been caught, sell him to me, I'm sure I can afford him"
Digging into his pocket Light pulled out a satchel that contained well over four hundred coins and threw it towards the slave driver.
"Keep the change"
With wide and confused eyes the slave driver decided not to argue as he leaned down and removed the human's chains, pulling him up, rather roughly, by the hair and shoving him forward.
"He's all yours"
Light nodded and looked down at the man who stood before him, he was tall, if it weren't for his slouched form he would likely be taller than the prince.
The man's naked form was covered in goose pimples, scars and mud, it was almost pitiful and Light couldn't stand looking at him.
Leading the prince away he shrugged off his long, golden trimmed jacket and wrapped it around the slave's shoulders.
"Humans feel the cold right? Don't feel like letting you die of hypothermia so early"
The slave nodded, pulling the jacket tightly around him, he didn't say a word of thanks, he just continued following the prince.
"What's your name?"
Light looked towards the man who was simply staring at him, his thumb pressed against his bottom lip.
"My name is Light. Tell me your name, I need to know the name of my newest servant"
The prince kept his voice as polite as possible as he watched the human who seemed more interested in what was around him that in the prince himself.
"I can't call you if I don't know your name"
"I haven't seen a Japanese man in a long time" responded the slave, he wasn't speaking English and Light was taken aback by the human's perfect Japanese.
"So you can speak?"
The man nodded and kept his thumb pressed to his lips, examining the prince.
It was true that Japanese people were rare these days but surely this man knew about the family?
"Light Yagami, human age eighteen and was turned little over three hundred years ago, taken in by the self proclaimed 'Vampire King', Soichiro Yagami"
"So you've done your research"
"I've picked up on certain information while in the slave base" the man explained, staring at his bare feet as they walked.
He really is an interesting one, Light thought, keeping his eyes on the human.
"You know me, I'd like to know you, what's your name?"
"A name is merely a way of indentifying and labelling others, it holds no necessary import to anything, to know the person you study their personality and actions but if you must know, my given name would be Lawliet though among the slave drivers I was known simply as L"
Light nodded, there was something refreshing about the way this man, Lawliet, spoke to him, he didn't sound intimidated by the vampire and didn't use any formalities, he just spoke without thinking.
"Lawliet" he said, testing the name on his tongue and nodded in approval. "You're English?"
"I suppose I'd be classed as English due to my accent and region of birth but England hasn't existed in such a long time I so no purpose in labelling me with the nationality"
Such a strange human.
"Aren't you afraid of me, Lawliet?" Light asked, raising his eyebrow.
The human simply shrugged as the prince allowed him to climb into the carriage before him, pulling his knees to his chest and balancing on his toes Lawliet stared forward, the princes jacket still wrapped tightly around him.
His father would have said he was being too kind allowing the human to sit in the carriage with him but the man looked frail, there was no way he'd be able to walk the distance in his state, not to mention his lack of clothing must mean he was freezing.
"I see no reason to be afraid, in the end the worst thing you could do is kill me and in this day and age death is considered a blessing"
"You're strange, Lawliet"
Lawliet nodded in agreement, pressing his thumb to his lips again.
"I have been told so. Also, I ask you not to call me 'Lawliet', it seems that I have grown accustomed to being called 'L' so I'd like you to address me as such"
With wide eyes the prince stared at the human who was now paying him no attention, he seemed to be examining the inside of the carriage.
"You're giving me orders?"
"No, simply stating my name preference. As I am technically your property you may call me whatever you desire but you're less likely to get a response if you use anything other than L"
Light couldn't contain his amused laughter, holding his sides as he watched the confusion spread on his slaves face.
"You really are a fascinating one, L"
L's large eyes watched the prince intently, he didn't make a sound or a gesture, he simply stared at there was something about the gaze that made the vampire uncomfortable.
Shifting slightly in his seat the prince looked out of his window and attempted to break the uneasy silence that filled the carriage.
"When we arrive you will be bathed and clothed"
"Why go so far for a slave? Surely I am simply a tool to make life simpler"
"Yes, you're a study tool for me, you will help me with my studies which means you will spend a lot of time in my study, my tutor won't appreciate you being in an unseemly state"
"You act as though appearance levels out intelligence"
"To him it does"
"Then he's a fool"
That was another comment that caught the prince off guard.
This human had just called his tutor a fool, a mere slave called a man he had never met but surely knew of his stance in the vampire realm, a fool.
I'm glad I chose this one.

Returning to the castle led to L being separated from his new owner, he was taken into a bathing chamber and the jacket he had been given was taken away.
He showed no embarrassment as he was helped into the bath by two young female slaves and held no reaction to the lustful stares or childish comments from the two either.
The water that was poured down his back and onto his head was freezing but he didn't even flinch as he was scrubbed and his hair was washed.
He was so calm that it was almost intimidating
Once he was dried he was dressed in a plain white, slightly oversized shirt and some baggy jeans as he refused to wear anything else that was given to him, he refused to even wear shoes.
He was an uncooperative slave but he showed no signs of fear towards his vampires masters, in fact, he was completely indifferent to them.
He was escorted through the halls, his bare feet dragging across the ground as he was dragged through by the two guards who had a strong hold on both his arms.
L didn't struggle, he simply stared forward and didn't say a word, he seemed to out of focus as if he had no interest whatsoever in the world around him.
He was a mere human but his presence was enough to make even vampires feel uncomfortable and the guards wasted no time dropping him onto the ground in front of the prince's study and walking away.
"L, what are you doing on the ground?" asked the prince as the slave pushed himself to his feet.
"It seems they were in a hurry as they didn't seem aware that my feet need to be flat in order for me to stand"
With a chuckle and a role of his eyes the prince opened the door to allow the human to enter the room.
Once again the prince found himself examining the slouched human, the man had his hands stuffed in his pockets and his black hair was still dripping from his bath, soaking the crisp white shirt.
Following behind him Light closed the door and noticed that the human was simply standing in the centre of the room, he didn't seem to be doing anything, just standing but Light could tell from the way those dark eyes darted around his surrounding area that L was examining the room, taking in every small detail, he was observant.
Light stepped closer to the slave and felt his entire body go rigid.
He could smell it, that alluring scent making its way to his nose and triggering a reflex in his fangs, he could feel them poking at his gums as they elongated and sharpened.
This shouldn't be happening, Light was experienced enough to control the hunger, he was well fed and should have no interest in the blood of such a fragile looking slave.
But he couldn't help noticing the pale, slender neck that lay beneath the human's dark hair, smelling the blood that rushed through his veins like a stream.
"Doesn't he smell good?"
The voice in his head began to whisper to him, the voice he thought he had killed off when he transformed but no, it was back and it caught the prince off guard.
"Don't hold back, Light, I'm sure he's delicious and he's only a human, he can't fight you off"
No, leave me alone, Kira.
"Oh, so you remember my name?"
I couldn't forget you.
"I am flattered"
Light's gums were burning, the voice urging him on as his fingers stretched out, grabbing hold of the human's arm and for the first time since he had known him the slave looked surprised.
"Do it, take him, right now, do it, Light"
I can't, I can't kill him. He's a slave, not live stock.
"Who cares? You could always buy another or...you could turn him"
No...
"Do it"
No!
"Go on"
NO!

Well, yeah, here it is, yet another Fanfiction. I'm obsessed with Vampires and well, it's Halloween so why the hell not? I've always wanted to do an LxLight fanfiction, they were my first yaoi ship and I never stopped loving them. I hope you enjoy it.