Chapter 12: The Terrifying Puppeteer

*Risk's POV*

"Risk, move!" Virizion slammed into me, knocking me aside just as an icy bolt from behind struck the ground in front of us. Although I had not been frozen in place, the quickly-forming wall had caught Virizion's right forepaw in itself, and she tried, in vain, to free herself from the incapacitating ice. Knowing that she would be trapped without help, I attempted to break the ice with a few punches, but my attacks did not even dent the frozen surface.

This is more than just ice! There's got to be something else...

"Look out!" I grabbed Riku and dove for the ground, just as another bolt hit the ground where I was standing only moments before.

As the attack travelled through the rock, the peak began to shatter. Still holding onto Riku, I lost my balance in the rubble but, thankfully, was not harmed when the cliff collapsed. However, there was now an enormous chasm splitting our group into two- Alakazam and Virizion on one side, with whatever started attacking us, and Riku and I on the other.

A harsh screech split the air between us, as a frigid gust of wind practically blew me off my feet. With the Shaymin on my back, I stared across the split chasm at our attacker.

It's another one of those massive birds... Like Zapdos, but this one seems to embody ice. I wonder if there is actually a correlation, or if I'm thinking too far into this...

"Risk!" Alakazam yelled to me, pulling me out of my thoughts- although it is hard to hear him over the roaring icy wind, I tried to listen to him. Even so, some parts of what he told me were obscured by the tremendous ripping sound the wind was making,

"That Pokemon that you see in front of you is Articuno! Something needs to calm its rage, or it could chill the entire surrounding continent! Virizion and I will hold it off for now, but... need to head back to... Guild and find Spectre! I'm going to... you two there now!"

Before I knew what was happening, a Psychic power enveloped me, and I quickly closed my eyes, recognizing the familiar feeling of Alakazam's teleportation.

Although it just may be the intense cold that's making me so numb, I think that's what Alakazam is trying to do- to teleport us back to the Guild.

Quickly, I covered Riku's eyes with my free hand, and the force of the telekinetic shock knocked me unconscious.

...

...

After what felt like a few hours, I slowly opened my eyes. Riku was standing over me, waiting for me to wake up.

Urgh... My head...

"Hey, look, you're awake!" The Shaymin smiled,

"But Alakazam and that other Pokemon... Do you think they're OK?" he asked, tentatively.

"I'm not worried about them- Alakazam is a legendary explorer- he'll be fine. And that 'other Pokemon'- Virizion- was the one that saved me from that Serperior. She can handle herself!"

"So," Riku couldn't contain the question any longer,

"What on earth happened in that snake's gut after the Escape Orb brought me back to the Guild?" I could tell that his mind still could barely process that I was alive; he seemed to be torn between embracing me and trying to heal me.

"Well," I started to say, although my voice was still strained, as Riku pulled another leaf from his pack.

"After you left, I..." My body automatically made some semblance of a purring sound when Riku's paw touched one of my wounds. Although he would not be able to regrow the dissolved skin around my lower body and legs, the many small acid marks in my chest began to disappear, bringing with it a sweet relief that I never thought I would feel again. The noise made Riku laugh a little, and I continued to explain,