Chapter 2

I could feel a bright light on my face, beaming down on me. The sun had just risen. Apparently, I had fallen asleep on my bed after thinking deeply about that stupid redhead. Rubbing my eyes, I slid off my bed. It wasn't until then when I heard the sirens. What the hell... I could hear people in the apartment, talking very loud and an ambulance wailing outside. As soon as I opened my bedroom door, I could see my mother's room across the hall filled with two men and a hospital bed. I knew what was happening, but tried to push the thought away. No. Please no.

I darted outside of  my room and ran straight into Uncle Randy.

"What's going on?! Please, please tell me that's not Mother."

"Your mother will be fine. Don't panic, Luke."

"Are you sure?"

Tears formed in my eyes, not feeling reassured by Randy. The last thing I wanted to do was talk to him, but I really had no choice. I needed to make sure Mother was okay! Uncle Randy nodded, then bowed his head when the hospital bed was wheeled out of the front door. 

Randy and I rode in the ambulance to the hospital, but I wasn't allowed in the hospital room with my Mother. Only Uncle Randy was. I ran up to a nurse going into the room, and begged her to let me in. She proceeded to shake her head and tell me no, with no good explanation of why i can't. So, for the next few minutes, I held back tears, put my earbuds in, and sat outside the hospital room with my head in my hands. The first song that played on my phone was 2 Chord by Sleeping With Sirens. Just listening to it made me feel a little better. I sang along to it, just to keep tears from coming.

I'm not leaving, I'm not leaving, I'm staying here...

I rocked back and forth to the beat when another nurse opened the door of Mother's room with a grim face.

"Your mother... She just passed away. I am so sorry."