Mailbox: Chapter 2, Avant-garde

MAILBOX: Chapter 2. Avant-garde

Mom says I shouldn't use the word weirdo. The word to use is "avant-garde." Apparently in my adult life, I am going to learn how cool it is to be avant-garde. She's studying Jorge Luis Borges right now. He was an avant-garde South American writer who was also popular in Europe and the USA.

Avant-garde is the word for unique people, great artists, people who are brave and creative and interesting, and basically, the first ones to try a thing. Like pioneers, which most every American citizen respects, because the pioneers were so strong, they survived horrible winters and starvation and locusts and everything in the olden days. "Avant-garde" is the fancy French way to say "advance guard," which must be something military, since that word guard is in there. Why anybody would use a military term to talk about the arts makes no sense.

I really want to trust my mom, but I don't know. Maybe she's right that famous avant-garde artists today might have once been considered weirdos in their childhoods in the 40s or something. But no one can predict the future. If Jorge Luis Borges was a kid in my class at school now, I might not even like him. Mom might not like him either and wouldn't let him play at our house. Maybe by the time I'm a grown-up, there will be no such thing as avant-garde. Maybe I'll never be any kind of artist anyway, and I'll always just be a weirdo.

Still, I guess it's good if your mom thinks you're special and there's a cool French word for what kind of special you are. If your mom doesn't think it, who will?

*

Thanks for reading! If you liked it, please click your vote to say so.

*

Want more MAILBOX? Great! Check back for new uploads 3x/week - M,W, F. You can also go to Amazon for the full book or ask your library or bookstore for a print copy. Come sign up at www.nancyfreund.com to know to know about promo pricing, giveaways, and good news.

Thank you for reading. ~ your Freund, Nancy