Chapter 3

Alfred's POV
"I'd much rather you joined my crew."
I stared at him. I'd heard stories of pirates back home, but I had never heard of anything like this. Pirates were bloodthirsty scoundrels, but his one is showing me compassion.

He shuffled his feet. "I mean, it's either that or guaranteed death. I usually would never let someone like you live."
There again! This isn't like anything I've ever been told!
"A-Alright. I will," I stuttered.

"Great. Grab the items you wish to keep from your cabin. This ship sinks in the morning." He walked away.
"Hey, wait, I never got your name!" I called. The captain turned around and scrutinized me. Chuckling, he said, "The name's Arthur. Though if you know what's good for you, you'll call me captain."

🇺🇸🇬🇧Time Skip To The Evening🇬🇧🇺🇸
I sat in front of the campfire on the deck of what used to be my fathers ship. My allowance, dagger, and spare clothes sat in a sack behind me. The crew's medic, Evan, sat next to me. "So, any medical conditions I should be aware of?" he asked me. "Nope, just that I wear glasses," I told him. "Okay," he nodded. We just sat there for a second, but then he started staring at me. It was really unnerving. "Um...Whatcha doin' there, Evan?" I asked.
"What? Oh, nothing. Just thinking." He paused. "I don't get why Arthur's letting you join the crew. Usually a hotheaded kid like you would be dead in minutes......No offense." He told me. "None taken!" I stuttered. I was really shaken up now. Why is he letting me live, then? When he told me I could join the crew there was some look in his eye that I couldn't describe. I didn't understand what was going on! My thoughts were startled away from me with the sound of metal clashing. Evan and I stood in unison. "What was that?" I nearly shrieked. "That," spoke Evan, in an almost whisper, "was Arthur when he's pissed."