Laugh Laugh Laugh Hayden

Hayden sat alone in front of the speaker, hand hovering over the button to turn it on. It wasn't the first time his emotions had washed over him, causing him to stop and think.

Why did his parent hate each other so much? Was he really only just something to use against another person? Was he really that insignificant? Was his life only as good as proving a point? Was he really only there to spite someone? God, why did this have to happen.

He envies those who were unwound for a purpose; at least they knew exactly why they were unwound. Whether it was because of bad grades, behavior problems, unwanted, a tithe, whatever, at least they weren't left wondering if they were signed to be unwound because their parents secretly hated them.

"I mean, what if it wasn't a custody argument?"

Connor looked up from the paper sat in front of him. "What was that bud?"

Hayden shot his head up, a startled look on his face. "I didn't say anything," he said somewhat defensively. Connor shrugged, turning away after giving his friend a concerned glance. He kept a close eye on him after that, noticing the uneasiness he was feeling.

Hayden took a deep breath, choking down the sobs that threatened to overtake him. He couldn't let his team see him like this, couldn't let Connor see him like this. Connor was one of his only friends, and he was tough as hell; he couldn't let him see him cry! He was the Akron AWOL, a beckon of strength who showed nothing but courage. And then there was him: a sad, lonely, pathetic boy who talked on a radio that no one listened to. He hid the tears that begged to fall with a smile and a laugh, pushing the "On Air" button.

"This is RadioFreeHayden live from someplace scorching and dry..." He went on with his little podcast, all the while Connor inconspicuously watching him. He could tell he was broken. He'd been there before. But he planned on making things right.