{ one }

❝ They used to say this place was haunted.

...I think they were right. 

• • •

"Stop being such a pussy, dude."

"Couldn't you have taken us somewhere else?"

Michael sighed, clearly annoyed, and put his fist against Calum's shoulder.

"Stop. Being. Such. A. Pussy," he repeated, pushing his friend at every word.

Annoyed, Calum let his head fall backwards, turning slightly to the right where he looked straight into the direction of the person that was the cause of everything.

"You want her to like you back, right?" Michael asked, following Calum's gaze. "Being scared of an abandoned place isn't going to do you any favours."

Of course his best friend was right, but Calum just didn't understand why Michael had to take them there out of all places he could have picked.

"Couldn't we have gone swimming or something?"

Michael snorted loudly. Something he always did when he was overreacting in the most sarcastic way.

"I would have imagined Luke to be scared," nodding his head into their friend's direction. "But you? Come on Cal. Show her you can protect her. Chicks dig that."

"Protect her from what?" Calum asked reluctantly.

"Exactly! Nothing to be scared of, now let's go."

Before Calum could say anything else, he was already being dragged back towards the others.

"So what's the plan?" Luke asked. "Are we going in?"

His girlfriend Teigan and her friend Riley looked up at the huge gate in front of them. Riley bit her lip as she noticed how scary even the gate looked.

"I'm not feeling this," she said doubtfully.

"No worries Ry. If you get scared Calum here will protect you," Michael blurted out as he patted his friend's back, almost slapping the air straight out of his lungs.

Calum twisted his head to look at Michael with wide eyes, silently telling him "Really, man?"

Michael shrugged with a smug grin on his face.

"Right," Riley replied confused, shaking her head lightly which made Calum want to punch himself, and especially Michael, in the face.

"Anyway, I'll go in until it gets dark. As soon as the sun sets I'm out," she continued, her hand finding a strand of copper blonde hair, twirling it in a poor effort to distract herself from the fact she really wasn't feeling this adventure, as Michael liked to put it.

Teigan nodded in agreement.

"But that's when it starts to get awesome," Michael said and pouted as if to try and convince them to stay longer, but it wasn't working.

"Luke, tell your girl to stay longer than that."

The blonde haired boy ignored the question, biting on his lip ring nervously. He hated to pick sides when it came down to his friends and his girlfriend.

"Fine," Michael groaned. "We'll leave as soon as it's get dark. Now let's go before there's no time left."

He was the first one to walk up to the gate, placing his right foot on one of the horizontal bars and pulling himself up. He swung one leg over the top and managed to squeeze in-between two spikes, calling for Riley to come up next so he could help pull her up.

Calum walked up to the gate with her, making sure she felt comfortable going.

"Yeah, what's the worst that can happen? A rat scaring us?" she chuckled.

"We don't have all day people!" Michael shouted. "Besides, my balls are starting to hurt so let's move it."

Both Calum and Riley laughed at his last remark, only doing what he'd told after he'd put up his middle finger and made a hand gesture for them to hurry up. 

Calum gave Riley a boost, quickly apologising for touching her butt while internally cursing at himself for doing so. He'd had the biggest crush on her since the day they'd met two months ago and he had been trying not to come across a certain type of way. Touching her butt definitely made him come across a certain type of way. Or so at least he thought. Luckily for him, Riley didn't think too much of it.

After Luke had jumped off the gate, landing on the other side with his friends, it was finally time to go inside.

Just before they headed up to the main entrance, Riley stopped in her tracks. Looking up at the top floor, she felt as if the gloomy building was watching her. The old crumbling asylum loomed over her with its battered and bashed windows, but her eyes were fixed on the one window still intact.

More importantly, on the dark figure walking past it.

"Are you coming Ry?" Teigan shouted at her, already standing on the steps leading up to the front doors.

Calum waited for Riley to join him before he'd follow the others inside.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly as he studied her face which looked even more pale than it usually did. "You sure you wanna go in?"

Riley looked up once more, briefly scanning the front of the abandoned asylum for anything out of the ordinary. Other than some cracks in the concrete walls and its dark, desolate windows, she couldn't find anything that didn't belong. She shook off the eerie feeling that had washed over her a few moments earlier, deciding that it was nothing but the sunlight, and her mind, playing tricks on her.

"Yeah," she answered, nodding her head at him. "What's the worst that can happen. Right?"

Right.

-
AN: First try at writing a "scary" story. Let me know what you think as the story progresses! 

I've dedicated this chapter (well story, actually) to hemmo1996 for always giving me great feedback on my work, as well as helping me out with the 5sos series. Thank you for everything!

I'd also like to thank -delusion and RafaelHR for proof reading and giving me a few pointers to make it better :) (Definitely make sure to check out their work!)