Spirit Hunt

"I used to be a mask collector, you know," I tell Zuko, touching the mask I had worn for the past year

"I used to be a mask collector, you know," I tell Zuko, touching the mask I had worn for the past year. "This one I got from my own mother. This cat represents good luck and fortune, I always wear it." I pull out the black, cat eared mask. The mouth curls into a sinister white grin, like a fox, and the eyes had a blood glare to them as they upturned in mirth. Wearing it in the dark made it all the better. "I've got a cool moon and sun one, a bunny mask, And then I got this Blue Spirit one from "Love Amongst Dragons". My mother gave it to me. From her best friend, an original. Somehow, I think you know it already. How about you take it?"

~

From below deck, where the prince rarely ventures, he mentions trails while rubbing at his eyes. I follow him while he ignores me trying to get his attention. But obviously, he doesn't come down here to visit often so in some subconscious way he wanted to get mine. "Let me guess... you went and spied on Zhao, didn't you?" I say, leaning against the doorway before Zuko can shut the door on me. "I was watching you."

He gives in, turning around when suddenly crushing my foot isn't a good idea. "Is it a crime?"

"No. I want to know what he said. It's not like I could hear," I remark, folding my arms.

"Zhao has been promoted to admiral. He's sending the best archers in the fire nation-- the world-- after the avatar. The Yuyan," Zuko growls at the name. "But there hasn't been any sightings of the avatar..."

"We're trying our best. Jee is currently trying to find possible sightings now. I'll try to find him first."

"They're professional trackers as well. It's more than two, like you and me. They've got at least twenty after him."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Prince Zuko, we'll get him. Besides-- if Zhao is staking out at the fortress, and they do get the avatar before us, we'll use his resources to our advantage."

~

"We haven't been able to find out where the avatar has been headed since the storm." Jee rolls out the map, messy with my, his, and Zuko's markings. "But, if we keep heading north-east–"

Suddenly a huge shadow looms over the ship, blocking all light. It is a huge Fire Nation cruiser.

"What do they want?" Zuko runs over the window.

"Perhaps a sporting game of Pi Sho," Iroh says. Sure.

Fire Nation soldiers board our ship. "An order has been sent out that the search for the avatar is top importance. Any info regarding his whereabouts must be reported to Admiral Zhao."

"Zhao has been promoted? Well, good for him!" Iroh says.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao. Now get off my ship and let me pass," Zuko says, arms folded.

"Admiral Zhao is not letting ships in or out of this area," a soldier informs.

"Off my ship!" he bursts with hostility. They leave at that.