Chapter 1

**Welcome to my Unfortunate Life**

My name is Autumn Mitchell and I'm 14 years old. I have green eyes, long thick Caramel colored hair, and my skin is very tan. I live in Springfield, Illinois. Your probably thinking, I'm just a regular teenage American girl. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong. Don't feel bad, this test wasn't graded.

To start off, my life didn't come with instructions. So I am not perfect, like all human beings. My mom gave birth to me when she dropped out of college. Unfortunately, I didn't know my father. Whenever I asked my mom about my father, she would always say "Your father didn't want to take care of a child." Mysteriously, mom became pregnant again, 7 days after my birthday, to my little sister Kasidee. Kasidee is also known as the miracle child. Since my mom couldn't take care of us on her own in such a small apartment. She remarried to a man named Tony. Tony is a beer-bellied, really smelly, Italian man. When I mean he smells bad, he smells really bad. Like a skunk who lives in a dumster, and threw up rotten eggs. I hated Tony and he hated me. Don't ask me why but he just does. He loved Kasidee as if she was his own daughter. Unexpectedly, 2 years after the marriage my mother died from heat stroke. I know what your thinking, Wow your life does suck. And it's true. So now Tony was responsible for taking care of us. Which meant, I had to take care of Kasidee. Change her diapers, brush her blonde and red hair, remind her to brush her teeth every night. While Tony went out to the bar or casino.

Today is Monday and the beginning of summer break. I took Kasidee out to the local neighborhood park. Kasidee is 6 years old, so I want her to remember her childhood as fun and awesome, instead of horrible and yucky. We played on the swings and slid down the swirly slide. I watched Kasidee cautiously as she climbed on the rockwall. As if it was fate, a red slip of paper flew between my legs. My curiosity took over and I picked up the red paper.

I read, "Free Food Coupon. @ Jade Dragon's Chinese Buffet!!!!" My jaw dropped to the floor. I haven't had food outside of the apartment since I was 4. I couldn't pass this opportunity.
"Kasidee!" I yelled.

Kassidee ran over to me as her blonde and red curls bounced on her dainty shoulders. "Yes Autumn." She smiled.

"Look what I found." I showed her the coupon.

"What's a buffet?" She asked tilting her head to the side.

"A buffet is where you choose the food you want without a menu." I inform.

"What's a menu?" Kasidee's golden eyes studied mine.

"Never mind that. But do you want to go?" I ask.

Kasidee jumped up and down with excitement. "Yay!" Then she stopped jumping and she shivered. "I'm cold." She chattered.

"I'm told you to bring a sweater." I kneel down to her eye level. "Do you need me to warm you up?"

She nods her head. Kasidee sometimes gets cold with no explanation. Which is weird but the doctors have no idea what is the problem with her. I looked for a place to warm up Kasidee. I spotted the rock climbing wall. It was connected to the top platform of the swirly slide. The rock climbing wall had holes the size of a small child. Inside was an in closed space, the perfect hiding place. I helped Kasidee's hand and I ran to the climbing wall. We both went inside and Kasidee's peach colored skin started to turn a light shad of blue.

"Are you sure you want me to do this?" I look into her eyes. Then I see the burn mark on her left arm from the last time I heated her up. When Tony saw the burn he was furious and who was the first one he was going to blame. Ding ding ding....the winner was me! I told him that Kasidee burned herself with the stove. But still he blamed me that a hurt her.

Kasidee nods her head. "I'm going to be fine." I placed my hands on her arms. Her arms were freezing cold, and I breathed deeply in and out with my nose. Instantly, heat warmed up her skin. "Ahhhhhhhh. So warm." She sighed. I loved when I made Kasidee happy, she was the light of my life. Then I hear her hiss with pain.

"Oh Crap!" I quickly move my hands away from her. Red marks that were the shape of my hand prints faded into her skin. "Are you alright?"

"I feel better." She smiled showing her teeth.

"Ok. Let's go to the Chinese Buffet."