One

There he was. The one and only Klaus Baudelaire had his head buried in a book as always, his frames slowly slipping down his nose as always and a single brunet curl drooping into his face as always. It was a typical state for Klaus to be in but for some reason seeing him like that today made a small smile appear on my face. He was huddled in a burgundy armchair, in the back corner of the library and despite it being pretty bustling, I spotted him right away. It was like everytime I tore my eyes away, they magnetically fell back on him again.

Today was the day. I'm not sure why it was today of all days, I mean one glance at the room showed that maybe it wasn't the best time for me to be doing something like this. The library was absolutely full of students, including the infamous redhead of Prufrock Prep. On second thought, I guess having Carmelita around wouldn't be such a bad thing for once. I mean, for one, she could take the attention off of me for as long as I needed, and secondly, the fact she was here meant she wasn't terrorising my poor triplet.

There was a small crash on my right as someone dropped a pile of books, and I realised that Duncan was actually here as well. When I took a closer look around it seemed as though the whole school was here, but I didn't think to question it. After all, I wasn't here to wonder what everyone else was doing. I had to focus on my task.

I danced past some other students and for once they didn't sneer or throw balls of paper. Today they let me pass without trouble and I even received a few smiles of encouragement. My confidence soared and I practically skipped the last few metres between Klaus and I.

Hearing me approach, he glanced up, his entire expression matching one of that of a deer in headlights. But it only lasted a tenth of a second before he shifted into a smile, my favourite of his smiles, might I add. But then again, was there even a smile I didn't like to receive from Klaus Baudelaire?

He popped his book to the side and stood to greet me, but before his greeting could even be vocalised, I spoke a quiet "Good morning," and planted a soft kiss on his lips. One hand reached up to gently cup his cheek and suddenly the whole room melted away. The only sound left was my steady heartbeat (or maybe it was his?) echoing in my ears.

I felt him smile into the kiss and, wanting to keep it short and sweet, I pulled away and opened my eyes.

But all I saw was the ceiling. My eyebrows furrowed as I came to terms with my surroundings and I squinted at the dull morning light that billowed in, unrestricted by the lack of curtains in the room. And then everything hit me at once: the excessive library noise was from the couple hundred students bustling through the school corridor just beyond my door, the repetitive noise was my alarm clock that had been going for god knows how long and, let's not forget, somehow I had dreamt about kissing my best friend.

I bolted upright in shock and almost threw the clock across the room, but instead decided to just turn it off like a normal person. Once the shrill noise was eliminated I rubbed my eyes and tried to figure things out. Why had I kissed Klaus? Why did I want to kiss him so badly? Why was I disappointed when I woke up? I caught myself in my thoughts; I was confused, not disappointed. I mean who wouldn't be confused after waking up from a dream like that?

After sitting for a couple seconds in silence, the students outside seemed to return to my subconscious. What was everyone doing up and about this early? It was only when I took a second to look at my alarm clock that I realised it didn't say seven o'clock, which is what I was used to seeing every morning, but instead it said eight forty five. If I had seriously slept through my alarm for that long then it was no question that Duncan had too. But one look across the room to his pile of blankets on the concrete floor showed he had already left.

Thanks for waking me up, I thought to myself saltily before finally getting up and throwing my uniform on. I was meant to shower this morning but there was no way that was going to happen. Class started at nine and I still needed to grab breakfast. Eating was more important to me than looking nice, even despite the terrible food they served at Prufrock. And besides, it's not like I was trying to impress anyone anyways.

Not even Klaus?

No, I answered back to the voice in my head. But even after denying that statement, I couldn't deny the pit that I felt appear in my stomach.

I decided to blame it on my hunger and rushed out to breakfast, remembering to grab my commonplace book and pen as I went. Not even a weird morning like this one would make me forget that prized possession.

—-

Hey guys, thanks for reading the first chapter of The Kiss.
I don't know about you but I'm super excited for the new season of A Series Of Unfortunate Events, hence why I figured it was time for a new fanfiction.

Updates will be every Wednesday and Sunday.

If you enjoyed please consider voting and commenting 💕

See you in the next chapter :))