4. How to bring the love of Allaah in oneself?

* Reciting the Qur'aan whilst pondering upon its meanings. Allaah says:

كتاب أنزلناه إليك مبارك ليدبروا آياته وليتذكر أولو الألباب

which means: "[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded." [Saad: 29] Pondering upon its meanings and having a heart that reacts to such recitation is the objective of reciting the Qur'aan. Huthayfah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported: "I offered the optional night prayer with the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam one night. Within it, he began reciting Chapter Al-Baqarah; I thought that he would bow after reciting one-hundred verses of it, but he continued reciting. Then, I thought that he would perhaps recite the whole Chapter in a Rak'ah, but he continued reciting (after the Chapter had ended) by reciting Chapter An-Nisaa'. Then, I thought perhaps he would bow upon completing the Chapter; he then began reciting (Chapter) Aal-'Imraan, and his recitation was unhurried. [During his recitation] when he recited verses that mention to the Glory of Allaah, he glorified Him (by saying Subhaan-Allaah - (i.e., 'My Lord, the Supreme, is far removed from every imperfection')); when he recited the verses that mention supplication, he would supplicate; when he recited the verses that mention seeking refuge in the Lord, he would seek refuge with Him. [Muslim]

Reciting the Qur'aan while reflecting upon its meanings increases the love of Allaah in one's heart, as well as making him feel hope, fear, contentment and gratitude; it also makes one increase in his reliance upon Him and causes one to repent sincerely to Him. Moreover, it is a means of shunning dispraised qualities that lead to the ruin of one's heart.

* Performing optional acts of worship is another means for one to achieve the lofty rank of loving Allaah. Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Allaah the Exalted has said: 'I will declare war against he who shows hostility to any pious worshipper of Mine; and the most beloved thing with which My slave draws closer to Me is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave continues to draw closer to Me through the performance of optional deeds (e.g., prayers and other acts of worship which are additional to those which are obligatory) until I love him. When I love him I become his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks (something) of Me, I (will certainly) give it to him, and if he asks My protection (or refuge), then I will protect him." [Al- Bukhaari]. This narration clarifies that Allaah's love of a slave is attained by the slave doing two things: Performing obligatory acts of worship; and drawing close to Allaah by performing optional acts of worship in addition to the obligatory acts. When one becomes beloved by Allaah, this love pre-occupies him and keeps him away from everything except that which would please his beloved; in fact, such a person would not even have time to think about such matters.

One might argue that most Muslims do indeed perform optional acts of worship, but they also commit sins and have shortcomings regarding their obligatory acts. We say that this is true, but the solution for them is not to abandon their optional acts; rather, they should maintain them because they make up for the shortcomings in their obligatory acts. However, they must work on improving themselves and maintain and increase whatever obligatory acts they are currently performing. The narration mentioned above indicates how great the rank of prayer is in Islaam; and the highest in rank after the obligatory prayers are the optional night prayers. Almost every obligatory act of worship has a corresponding optional one that can be performed, so if one falls short in any of them, he can find a way to compensate for the shortage, but this does not mean that one should busy himself with optional acts of worship whilst neglecting the obligatory ones.