"The New World" Chapter 2

WARNING: UNEDITED

I narrow my eyes, getting ready for whatever information he is going to release onto me.

"We have prepared a challenge for you. Or at least that's what you could call it. This challenge will test your determination, agility, IQ, and social skills. You will be thrown into a world of survival, more violent than the world you used to have."

"Why are you all doing this!?" Someone randomly yells. Well thank you, Mr. Stranger for asking the question we all have in our heads.

"Ah, yes. I was just about to explain that actually. This challenge is to test out who we need for the New World. The New World is going to restart humanity itself. It'll have new cures to diseases, better and safer communities, and etc. A new start for our lives and the future generations!" His voice booms, as if he's expecting an appluase. Key word: as if.

"Why not accept us all!?" The male voice shouts out again.

"You sir, have a lot of questions." The instructor chuckles, but I can see anger and annoyance flicker across his face. It must have taken him a lot of training to not lash out on anyone and to keep calm. Seem like everything was alright.

"As I have said, we can only take in a small amount. 400, since there will be the four different headquarters. We already have doctors, scientists, and officers with us. And that is quite a lot. So we can only accept the best of the best, those who can use their brain and brawn to get through this challenge." I could almost imagine him doing little qoutations in the air when he said challenge. I'm still quizzical about all of this. Something just isn't right here.

"Is that all understood?" There's a few muffled replies from the crowd, nods, and mainly silence.

"Good! Now these kind patrol officers here will make sure you have a safe ride. Goodbye, everyone!" He says a over enthusiastically. Something about him is off, I'm sure everyone can feel it. Especially calling the officers kind. I hold in a snort, instead looking at how Ava is doing.

"What's wrong?" I ask, reading her facial expression. It's tight and worry dances around her eyes, making her seem like she's angry but sad at the same time. Ava looks up at me, a frown on her worried features.

"That man is creepy, I don't like him sissy." She says quietly, nuzzling her face into my ribs.

"I don't either, but don't get scared Ava. He won't be back." I reassure her, stroking her hair gently. Her muscles are still tense, but I can tell she trusts me.

"Ok... if you say so." She whispers. After a few minutes, her breaths become slow and even, and I can tell she's asleep. Slowly, I place her head on my lap so she's comfortable.

I look at the window and all I can see is a blur of grey and black. An endless pit of nothing, but it'll lead to somewhere. Somewhere that'll leave us to fend for ourselves. To survive on our own. But for now, we'll just wait. And see what will happen in our future.

~*~

A loud screeching horn type noise blast into my ears. Along with squeals and agitated shouts from other people. I instinctively slap my hands on my ears to block pit the sounds. I narrowly eyes and allow them to adjust. Ava stirs but doesn't awaken. Fudge whines and cries out, squirming around in Ava's arms. I place fudge in my jean jacket, then slipping it on. After that I haul Ava onto my back, along with my bag. Ava's bag is already on her, luckily.

"Everyone, please exit the subway in a calm manner. If not we will have to take the action into our own hands." A large man yells into a mega phone, capturing everyone's attention. With that, the crowd stops rushing. But it doesn't stop any of the ones with a strange lust for winning to go out and speed walk.