Chapter 6

If your mother claims you hate her, why does she insist on wanting to spend the night when your dad is on a business trip?

"I can make dinner for us." Mom looks at me after an awkward long period of silence.

"No, that's fine, I can." I start to stand up.

"Spence.." She grabs my arm. "Let me, sis. I know we don't get along, but please let me be the mother that I am. Just relax and do nothing, sweetheart.. You work hard all week." By work hard she means sitting at a desk and stare at a computer until I'm messaged to send in an article that been done for weeks.

Can't really say no to that.. "Okay." I smile at her.

"Thank you." She kisses my forehead. "I just miss you and your brother around the apartment. It's so quiet with just dad and I." She raids my cabinets and pantry in the process.

"Then you should've had more kids, mama.." I open a text from Jimmy.

'Can't make it tonight.. Sorry babe.. Rain check me for tomorrow or sometime this week though :)'

"No.. Two is enough for me." She laughs. "Why don't you have babies?"

"I need a man first. That's how a girl gets pregnant and.."

"Spencer! Stop." Mom hates sex talk.

'No worries :) moms here anyways..'

Click click click

The fire from the stove starts and makes a swishing sound. "Get out there! You're a very beautiful girl, sweetheart. Someone will snatch you up!" A very beautiful boy already has! I wanted to say.

'Yay? Nay? I'm totally free Thursday night :)'

'It's a nay! But Thursday is a good night :)'

"Yeah.. Maybe." I change the channel to something other than the news. "What's for dinner?"

The sink turns on and then quickly back off. "Some spaghetti for me and since you're not a fan of it.. Pesto for you. And some garlic bread." I hear mom smile. "But I need to go down to the bakery for some French bread.."

"I'll go!" I jump up and shove my phone in my sweater pocket. "Just French bread? Nothing else?"

She sucks her cheeks in. "No.. I don't think I do."

"Okay! I'll be back."

....

"Hey, Penners.. Why do you have male clothing in your laundry room? Shirts, jeans, boxers, and all.." She looks at me confused.

I freeze with my fork at my mouth. Umm. "Oh, yeah, Collin was over and had to change before work a couple times last week."

"Your brother isn't a Jets fan.. Who's clothes are they?"

Think quick, you idiot! "The shirts mine and the rest are his clothes."

"Those jeans are awfully small for being Colls.." It's true, Collin is very Andy Whitfield in body shape. Jimmy's just fit.