Chapter 3: Quit Crying Kid

We are in the air for what feels like an eternity within the blink of an eye before the car hit the ground upside down in a jolting crash. I try to sit up so that I can see out of the window when I hear an ear numbing roar. I look through the window, which is now simply a hole, and what I see startles me to a rigid state. 

There is a gigantic, 25 foot tall, beast with an extremely long tail ambling towards the car. It appears to be covered in blood and lacking skin. My first thought is to cower back inside the car, but without even realizing it I am climbing through the window and standing in the monster’s path. I remember my dad is in the car, so my main goal is to keep the thing away from it. 

Without thinking, I charge towards the monster, rolling between its legs so that I am facing its back. It turns around with surprising speed. That’s when I realize I have no idea why I just ran at the thing. It whips it’s freakishly long tail, sending me to the side of the road. It is now facing the car again. I can see my dad’s leg sticking out of the windshield. 

Once again, without intending to, I start towards the monster and land a drop kick to the back of its knees. Its knees buckle, but it doesn’t hit the ground. It stomps its foot, creating a vibration that sends me stumbling backwards. I hop up, leap towards the monster, and grab hold of its arm. It is big enough that I can hold on to it while the beast swings it around trying to shake me off. I try scratching it, biting it (which left a pretty bad taste in my mouth), and anything else I could think of, all to no avail. 

Just when I think I’m done for, the strange man from the car is swooping from the sky (yeah, you read that right) and landing a heavy foot right in the monsters head. It stops the flailing instantly. I manage to get back on the ground and proceed to watch as he beats the beast to its knees, and then to its back, inch by inch. A second later, he’s dragging it in over a nearby cliff, sending it to the ocean below.

I reflect on what just happened. I never in my right mind would have ran towards that thing like I did, nor have I ever felt adrenaline similar to the rush I just felt. I look myself over. My hands and arms are covered in blood that I eventually realize is from the monster. I have no visible injuries. ‘

I turn to the car. My dad is unconscious, I hope. I couldn’t fathom losing him. I am instantly by his side and check his pulse. It’s there, but faint. I see his leg is leaking blood at an extremely fast rate. I am doing my best to cover the wound when the man approaches us.

“What was that?”, I yell, hardly able to get the words out between large gasps for air. 

“Come on,” he replies with no emotion. “Pull him out.”

I carefully pull my dad the rest of the way out of the car. The man picks him up and slings him over his shoulder. 

“Grab my arm,” he commands. I obey. 

A second later we are shooting towards the sky at impossible speed. I scream as my ears pop and my stomach tries to regain its composure. We stop for a split-second, and then shoot forward.

I cling to his arm for my life, feeling as though I could easily lose my grip and be sent back to the ground like a falling bullet. I don’t even register how strange my situation is, I am too busy crying tears that are immediately wiped away in the wind.

“Quit crying, kid.” The man’s voice was in my head. It startled me enough to almost cause me to lose my grip. I try to respond but air flies down my throat the moment I open my mouth. I don’t bother trying to respond again.

***********

 Around two minutes later – two minutes that feel like two hours – we stop in mid air, and then descend down to the ground.