The Most Dangerous Gamer

"Over there to the south- somewhere- is a some rich guy's mansion," Whitney said. "Some dude barely over 18 lives there."

"Oil money," Raina asked.

"Yep, but they say whoever lives there is cursed. They call it Black Cat Mansion, unlucky you know," Whitney answered. "The owner of the gas station I bought our snacks from told me about it."

Turning her phone on to check google maps for this 'cursed mansion' Raina saw that she had no service.

Seeing this Whitney laughed and told her, "Yeah, even your fancy phone can't do anything out here. Don't worry, it'll be better when we reach civilization."

"Maybe inside," Raina muttered glancing back at the buss station. It was small and dimly lit but it would be better than nothing.

"Already checked, once we get to California you'll have plenty of screen time," promised Whitney. "We'll get there late tomorrow, then we have a day before the tournament. I here this year's Battle Beast tournament will be legendary. The staff is supposed to release a new update right before the game and the graphics on the big scream will be amazing. And at the end of the day I will take home the crown and become one of the most famous gamers ever! You, of course, will be second."

"It is best game in the world, I hear they're working on a third. You'll be able to play as a centaur and other new beasties."

"It's the best game for us," Whitney said with huge smile. "But not whoevers on the other side of our guns. You ever feel bad for them, you know. I mean we spend all our time working on our characters and training. You've been working on the real life strength part for 'immersion'. After we kill them they have to spend weeks winning all their money and extras back."

"It's not our faults were superior, they should find a new game if they get upset about losing."

"Yeah but we can be pretty ruthless sometimes, also we got all these upgrades and mods. The ones who play the vanilla game causally don't have a chance."

"They don't get that upset," Raina said waving her friend off. "Remember our motto 'No Mercy, Just Victory'! You used to kill new characters for experience. I used to take assassin jobs. But we're better now."

"I know but I think we should go easier on some of these kids."

"Their fault for lying 'bout their age to get in the game," Raina said. Then punching her friends atms she said, "The lack of sleep is making you crazy. There are two types of people in the world -losers and us. Remember that and you may get second place."

"To you?" Whitney laughed then stared into the Texas night. Quietly she asked, "you think an orphaned rich guy who gets a mansion all by himself is a winner or a loser?"

Raina didn't answer instead she checked her phone for a signal again.

"The man at the gas station really did seem scared," Whitney told her friend.

Raina glanced out at the star covered sky, "Why? Big bad oil milionar going to rise the gas prices," she teased.

Whitney shrugged and sunk into her hoodie, "Why does the desert have to be so cold?"

After about 5 minutes of shivering waiting at the buss stop Whitney whispered, "You don't think much would scare a Texan."

"I bet your gore mod would," Raina said elbowing her friend. "The one where player organs can spill out and everything gets blood stained. I've seen you rip out one of their rips then stab them with it."