Chapter 3: The Memory

Chapter 3

Estela navigated the silent corridors of Malfoy Manor, her footsteps a soft echo against the marble floor, the remnants of the evening storm clung to her cloak. In her grasp, she carried a heavy bag of Galleons and the parchment bearing Arturius Rowle's allegiance. 

The grand doors to the meeting hall yielded with a wave of her free hand, the faces of the Death Eaters who were again seated around the table snapping in her direction. The air was thick with anticipation, charged with the silent queries of those who doubted her return. Yet here she stood, the bearer of alliances, under their scrutinising gaze. Yet, Estela's focus was on the figure at the room's end: Tom Riddle, his presence commanding even in stillness.

Estela's eyes fixed themselves upon the chair at the far end of the long room, where a man with hair as black as the night and eyes as cold as the frosty wind outside was sitting in a chair of obsidian. He briefly glanced at the items in Estela's hands, and a slow, shady smile crept onto his lips.

Estela hadn't noticed the figure standing beside Tom Riddle until now: Alden Viridian, the newest confidant at Riddle's side, who watched the exchange with an analytical eye, gauging the weight of her success.

"The allegiance of Arturius Rowle," Estela announced, presenting the parchment. The room's atmosphere shifted, attention now riveted on the document and the implications of its contents. Riddle's brief nod acknowledged the gravity of her achievement. Estela took a step forwards, and without breaking her stare, she handed him the piece of parchment that she had been clutching tightly in her hand.

"And this?" Riddle inquired as Estela tossed the bag of Galleons to him. His catch was effortless, the sound of metal clanking throughout the hall.

"I took the liberty of obtaining a deposit from Rowle before his position becomes official. You'll find just over 1,000 Galleons inside."

Something within Estela stirred as she noticed the brief look of dark satisfaction sweep across Riddle's features and the way Alden's brows raised with an underlying sense of curious impression by his side.

"And how exactly did you manage to obtain this?" Riddle asked sceptically.

Her smile widened. "You'll find I can be very persuasive."

And it was though the words she just spoke triggered something distant within Riddle, just as they did with her, and Tom's small smirk grew into a cruel yet utterly delightful grin as they shared something invisible to anyone but themselves.

"Consider it a symbol," she continued.

"A symbol of what, exactly?"

"A symbol of your mistake in thinking that I was incapable of succeeding."

She noticed Alden shift on his feet by Tom's side and thought she glimpsed a veiled look of surprise out of the corner of her eye. He obviously mustn't be used to people speaking to Tom in such a manner. Estela was quite shocked herself at the way the words rolled out of her mouth with such ease, when she knew just how much of a short-temper Tom had.

"Well I'll be sure not to doubt you again." Tom replied tightly, watching her fixedly as he handed the bag of Galleons to Alden. "You've done well, and those who do what I ask without failure don't go unrewarded."

Estela scoffed. "And what's my reward?"

A slow smile spread across Tom's handsome features before he spoke in a low tone. "My satisfaction."

She furrowed her brow. "I've gained much more than your satisfaction in the past, I was hoping for something a little more worthwhile."

He tilted his head to one side. "You'll have to work much harder than this if you want more than my satisfaction."