The X First X Phase

Satotz had begun walking deeper into the tunnel. Not wanting to be left behind, the contestants moved forward as well. While everyone was walking (Y/N) couldn't help but wonder: was this the start of the exam? It certainly didn't feel like it, but if it was, then this phase would definitely be a breeze for her. As if someone out there wanted to spite her, the pace Satotz was moving at suddenly increased. The people in front had even started to run.

"Ah, it seems I have forgotten one detail," she heard Satotz tell the crowd behind him, "The Hunter Exams have already started. As I am in charge of the first round, I must lead you to where the second round takes place. If you are able to follow me... you'll have passed the first test."

It seems her little question was answered, but it occurred sooner than she expected. Luckily, she was prepared for something like this. (Y/N) immediately placed her skateboard onto the ground and hopped on. With a single push forward, obviously using her foot to do so, she was off. Even with the faster rhythm, she was confident passing this stage would be easy for someone like her.

Almost one hour in and not a single person has dropped out yet. To say the least, the girl was slightly impressed. She knew normal individuals would have given up by now. Then again, she didn't think anyone in these Exams could be considered normal. (Y/N) forced down the smirk that threatened to show on her face after whizzing by several people. Oh, how she loved her ability to think ahead of the game. She sent a quick glance behind her, spotting the old man, Gree- Gon, and... Kurapika. Yes, that one's name was Kurapika. However, she noticed someone else in front of them, and he was on a skateboard too!

Maybe she wasn't the only intelligent being here.

"Oi! Both of you!" (Y/N) heard the old man yelling, again. She let her eyes drift away from the strange boy, whom she shall dub #99 for now, and stared at Leoreo... she should really ask for his name one more time. "That's not allowed! That's cheating!!"

#99 stared at Lerio for a minute before turning his head to look at (Y/N). It was at that moment she felt like her precious air was sucked out of her body. His pale, yet smooth skin made her slightly jealous; the silvery locks on top of his head, something she would like to run her hands through. Though, those features weren't what she was focused on. No, it was that pair of beautiful, royal blue pools anyone could get lost in. She was beginning to think blue was now her favorite color...

The eye contact (Y/N) shared with him felt like an eternity, when it was really only a few seconds. He returned his attention to the old man before saying a single word: "Why?"

Then there was his smooth and cool voice, it was music to her ears...

"'Why'...? It's an endurance test! That's why!" the old man shouted once more, a large vein highly evident on his forehead. (Y/N) merely returned her attention to the front. Though, that didn't mean she wasn't listening in on their conversation.

"No, you're wrong Leorio. He only told us to follow him, didn't he?" she heard another voice speak, the owner of this one obviously being Gon. Just which side...

"...are you on?!" Leorio finished for her. Oh, wow! She actually got his name right for once! (Y/N) sighed before looking at Gon and #99 in the corner of her eyes. A sudden sense of nostalgia washed over her. She felt as if...she had met #99 before in her life. But, from where did she see him?

"Tell me...how old are you?" he asked Gon, slowing down so he was now next to the boy in green.

"Twelve!" Gon happily replied with a grin plastered on his face.

"Just like me..." #99 mumbled, resulting in Gon giving him a questioning look. He then kicked off his yellow skateboard and landed on the ground, which caused said skateboard to flip into the air. However, before it could reach the surface, he caught the board with ease. Such a show-off... "I guess I'll run too...I'm Killua."

"And I'm Gon!"

#99, apparently known as Killua ((Y/N) thought that was a nice name), tilted his head to face Leorio again. "What about you, Mister?"

The look on the old man's face can be described in one word: Priceless. Well, that was only in (Y/N)'s opinion. She could feel a small laugh daring to escape her throat, but she did a good job at keeping it down.

"Oi!!' he shouted, which made her ears ring a bit, "I'm not that old! I'm only nineteen!" Now, there were multiple reactions that came from this comment. Killua looked very, very surprised, Kurapika seemed ready to leave at any moment (probably feeling awkward from the situation), and Gon questioned him, rather loudly one might add.

"Are you sure?!"

"Gon, it's finished! I'm never talking to you again!" was his answer. But, what of (Y/N) someone might ask?

Well, she almost fell off her skateboard from sheer shock. However, there is no need to fret, for she caught herself. Not without sending Leorio a look of bewilderment, though. He just so happened to notice her.

"Argh, not you too..." he mumbled, the vein on his forehead growing even bigger. For moment, she thought she spotted another one somewhere, but perhaps that was merely her imagination.

Leorio's acknowledgment of (Y/N) caused Gon to glance in her direction. Not even a second after did a look of recognition take over his features. "Hey! It's that guy from before!" he said.

Oh no, now she might need to socialize with them. As you can already know, (Y/N) didn't exactly enjoy speaking with strangers. Well... they weren't really strangers, more like acqua-
Wait, did he just call her a guy?

(Y/N) blinked once, twice, three times, maybe a fourth time. She knew her clothes were rather baggy on her slim frame, and the hood over her head covered her hair, but did she truly seem like a male? No one else seemed to have any objections to the comment... but, Killua was staring at her with narrowed eyes. She hoped that at least he thought otherwise. Then again, she shouldn't keep her hopes up, and if she does she shouldn't put them too high. She sighed and allowed herself to slow down, that way she in between the both of them.

(Y/N) then rose her eyebrow at Gon, signaling him to continue with whatever he wanted to say.

"We never got your name earlier..." he started out, giving her a toothy smile, "Do you mind giving it to us now?"

After his question, she suddenly found the ground more interesting than looking at Gon. She contemplated over speaking once more. Should she really just tell them her name? He was right about not telling them earlier, but that was only because that round man interrupted her. What was stopping her now?

"Don't deal with him, Gon." someone spoke up, causing (Y/N) to look at the culprit. Of course, it came from Killua, who was still looking at her through narrowed eyes. "He's as uninteresting as the others, probably just as weak too. It's only a waste of time-"

"(Y/N)." she stopped him mid-sentence, "My name is (Y/N)." She kept her eyes on what was in front of her, but could feel the looks of two different people. One was of confusion and the other...the other was a glare.

Such fun this was going to be.