Part One: The Pup

Jennette Adams. Otherwise known as Jenny. She's a young, 8-year-old girl living a simple life as a child like herself should.

One evening, while playing in the back yard of her house, she couldn't help but feel that someone was watching her. This went on for days and instead of being scared like a normal little girl, Jenny felt oddly safe.

One chilly, October night, Jenny sat and watched the big, glowing full moon, surrounded by the dusting of stars.

Out of the calm of the night, she then heard a low whimpering, followed by a high pitched whine. She looked curiously over to the woods that outlined the back lawn and the whines started to get louder.

Grabbing a nearby flashlight, she stood and bravely made her way to the edge of the trees, towards the sound.

Glancing back at the house, she said a small prayer to herself that her parents wouldn't notice her missing, losing television privileges was never a happy ordeal.

She took small, yet confident steps in the direction of the cries and she was soon surrounded by darkness.

She flicked on her flashlight and shined it around, the beam soon finding a young wolf pup, caught in a coyote trap. She gasped, seeing its right front paw trapped and bleeding from the devices iron teeth.

Another whine left its mouth as its eyes met hers and then she was in awe of what she saw. Glowing yellow eyes, big and innocent, filled with pain and despair. It was as if God himself had placed fireflies in the pups golden orbs. The wolf was covered in brown fur, the color of rich, dark chocolate. It wasn't very big, its skinny body shivered in the crisp, cold air. It was just a pup.

Jenny moved toward the wolf, causing it to cower away and whimper again.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. Let me help?" She asked, crouching near the pups trapped paw and slowly moving her hands towards it.  The pup hushed himself and allowed her to work.

Her small hands found a long, metal screw and she struggled to loosen it. With a satisfying pop, it came out, causing the metal jaws to fall open. The pup stood, but it was obvious that he was in pain.

"Come with me back to my house. I can clean you up there. I've watched Mommy do it many times." She spoke. The pup perked its ears and flicked its tail, seeming to understand.

Back at the house, Jenny led the wolf pup inside the back door and put her finger to her lips, signaling to be quiet. They crept up the stairs and into her bedroom.

"Stay here." She commanded before rushing to the bathroom for the first-aid kit. Returning to her room, the pup was now laying on her bed, looking content.

She went straight to work, applying alcohol which led to more whimpers and a yelp or two. She shushed him.

After wrapping up his paw with gauze, they heard footsteps. The pup quickly hid under the bed as her parents came in and kissed her goodnight.

After they left, Jenny called out to the wolf and he hopped back onto the bed. It was obvious that he was going to stay for the night, so she cuddled into his warm, chocolate fur. He hummed in delight and licked her nose causing her to giggle. The young pair fell into a peaceful slumber, already becoming close friends.

Jenny awoke the following morning to the pup tugging at her shirt sleeve. Soft whines came from his mouth and he kept turning his gaze to the window. "You wanna go outside?" She asked and the pup let out a bark of approval.

They made their way downstairs and she tugged on a jacket. Her parents were still asleep. The two went out into the backyard, the pup urging her on into the woods.