Chapter 16

Chapter 16 "Hmm...." Leafwater sat down beside Featherkit inside their den. "That is a possibility." Featherkit suddenly jumped up. "I have an idea! Since you're her mother, tell her you just want to check how strong her teeth are! There were bitemarks on our clanmates' throat, weren't there? Get her to bite down on a leaf, and we can see if the shape and size is exactly the same! We need to do it before it's time to bury Riverfur, otherwise we won't get a chance." Leafwater flinched at the name of her dead mate, but nodded determinedly. "Great idea! I'll go check if she's back." Featherkit followed Leafwater out of the den. At that moment, Sunpaw sprinted into the clearing and skidded to a halt beside them. "Mom!" He paused, panting for air. "Fernclaw just got back to camp. Go talk to her. Sorry for eavesdropping, but I knew that Featherkit would come up with a genius idea so I had to hear! And...." He stopped, waiting for them to guess. "Well, spit it out." Featherkit begged impatiently. "I'm being made a warrior in a quarter moon!" He finished proudly. Leafwater immediately rushed forward and covered Sunpaw in licks. "Oh, my son," She breathed. "I'm so proud of you! If only your father could have seen!" Hers and Sunpaw's eyes glistened with sadness that Riverfur wouldn't be alive to see his son become a warrior. "Now go to talk to Fernclaw," Sunpaw urged his mom. "I want to talk to Featherkit in the den. Leafwater snorted with amusement and understanding, then headed towards the fresh-kill pile where Fernclaw was sharing a squirrel with Blizzardstar. "I'll be off then, but mind you, don't tell her right away! Maybe when you're a warrior and she's close to her final assessment, then tell her." Leafwater reminded Sunpaw. "What did he want to tell me? Why does he need to wait until he's a warrior? What does he want to say?" Featherkit's head spun with questions, but she blindly followed Sunpaw into her den.