Chapter 27

*Fred's POV*

I walked up the steps of the apartment building and knocked on the door but there was no answer, I pulled out the second key I had made just in case Kayley took the first and opened the door. The place was empty, but there was something off, dishes were still in the sink and her huge wine glass sat on the coffee table in front of the television set. 

"Kayley?" I called to the empty place, I walked to her bedroom and saw her clothing piled on the floor. She was neat, always was...unless everything with George was effecting her worse than I noticed, she wouldn't stand for this. 

In the bathroom I found a small bottle sitting on the sink and I frowned as I studied them. I tossed the bottle in the sink and moved to the hall. Something was wrong. 

I locked the front door and headed to the Leaky Cauldron where I ran into a guy who looked a year older than me. 

"Can I help you?" He said stiffly. 

"I'm looking for someone named Kayley Sorrin, has she been around?" I asked hopefully. 

The guy stared at me, glaring darkly as he frowned, and shook his head. "She never showed up for her shift last week, haven't heard a word from her for a week." 

"A week?!" I choked out. 

The guy nodded, "do you know anything?" 

I shook my head and the guy sighed, "thanks," I muttered to him.

"I'm sure she's alright," he called behind me. 

I looked at him over my shoulder, and nodded once, I couldn't give him bad news. We already had a life filled with it. Why add more to it? I walked to the street and looked around, what happened to Kayley? 

*Kayley's POV*

"Maybe....if you walked to the gate and just slid me through...." 

"You'd be dead in seconds, human or cat." 

"Then you come up with something!" I glared at Draco as I fell to the floor in a hopeless heap, I've been here for days, not sure how many, but I can't believe I was here...in the heart of the madness. I closed my eyes and laid on my back, my ideas were dwindling with time and Draco shot down every single one. 

"If we could use the floo network....there's a chance..." Draco mused. "But you know the Ministry is watching them and well..." 

"Basically, you're watching them," I nodded. 

"I should've just taken you to the Ministry the second you got here." 

"Then why didn't you?" I growled and tossed my shoe at him. 

"I don't know! I panicked!" Draco said defensively. 

I sat up on my elbows and looked at him, "you are eating aren't you? You look sickly," I commented. 

"Like you look any better," Draco scoffed. 

I rolled my eyes, "that's because I've been depressed. Depression eats away at you." 

"Look, I'm sure the git didn't mean to do that. I bet you anything that girl started it, you just caught it at a bad moment." 

"What makes you so sure?" I muttered darkly. 

Draco sighed and rubbed his eyes, "I'm not, but honestly, I warned you that keeping them waiting forever would backfire." 

I glared, "get me out of here, Draco." 

Draco rubbed his face and groaned, "I'm working on it!" 

"What's today's date?" I questioned. 

"It's October, Kay." 

I shot up, the last time I looked at the calendar it was September. I've been missing for a long time...But it didn't matter, who would miss me anyway? Fred left, George...I shook my head before I could think more of him. They would be the only ones who would care...

"Draco, you get me out of here. And fast." 

"I've been working on that!" Draco said defensively. 

"Sure are coming up with brilliant ideas," I whispered. Draco kicked my legs and glared down at me. 

"I can just toss you downstairs and let them kill you, so I suggest you stop being so....bitchy and shut up." 

I gave a deep breath, "alright. Sorry." 

Draco nodded, "I've been working on a plan. But there's another part I need first." 

"How long until you get that other part?" 

"No clue," Draco said dejectedly. 

"What's your plan?" I questioned.

"You're not going to like it," Draco closed his eyes. 

"What are you planning?" 

Draco shook his head, "I'm going to go get us food." 

I felt the familiar magic on my skin and sighed as I turned into a cat and crawled under Draco's bed, this was how I lived. Sleeping as a cat underneath Draco's bed for protective measures and lying around his room when he stayed with me. It wasn't much, but at least I was safe...for now. 

*Draco's POV*

I stood in the kitchen, waiting for my sandwiches to be done making themselves when I noticed my bird flying toward the window. I opened it up and he landed on a chair against the kitchen island. A splash of relief hit me as I took the note from his foot. I read over it and couldn't help but smile, if ever so slightly. 

I'll do whatever it takes. Just keep her safe. 

This just left me to figure out the day and time. If I can do this...I can save Kayley. I owed her that much after injuring her last year. I took the plate of sandwiches and hurried to my room unseen, once inside I found Kayley sitting on my pillows, I glared at her. 

"Get off those," I threatened. 

Kayley tilted her head and held up a paw with her claws extended, "mew." She brought her claw down and I heard the silk give way to her claws. 

"I'm going to murder you." 

She looked at me and purred innocently before jumping to the floor, looking up at me expectantly. 

"Oh, you think I'll change you back after you destroyed my pillow? That's so adorable," I laughed. 

She pounced on my leg, if I thought her claws were sharp I was mistaken, they were little daggers that dug into my calf. I yelped in surprise before shaking her off. I changed her back instantly and she was laughing hysterically. 

I smiled slightly, "I have some news. Your rescue will happen soon," I promised. 

Kayley raised an eyebrow and looked at me skeptically, "if you say so..." 

"Don't believe me?" 

"Well, when you say rescue, it means someone is going to come here and take me away....the only person who would do that isn't stupid enough to try that here," Kayley shrugged. 

"Trust me." 

Kayley looked skeptical and frowned, I sighed, she couldn't trust me. Not after everything I've done. The simple fact that she was still alive wasn't enough for her to trust me, I'd burnt that bridge long ago. 

 ~*~*~ 

Who do you think responded to Draco? ;) comments are always welcomed!!