Day Two

2003

"You're really thinking about hiking this trail alone, Macey?"

"Why not?" I scooped up more eggs into my mouth and gave him a little smile as I chewed. "You don't have to worry, Flick, I'm waiting until Spring. No snow, then. No threat, really."
"You're sure you don't want me to do this with you?" Flick asked, not touching the plate of eggs and maple bacon that he made for himself. Flick hardly ate, which could explain why he was so thin. But his lack of food didn't matter; Flick was always full of life and energy. It didn't slow him down a bit. "I don't want you hurting yourself. I know you'll find a way to do it, and then you're gonna drag yourself home with your leg all cut up again. Please let me come."
"Flick, could you please just eat your food? I don't wanna talk about it. You know I need to do this on my own."
Flick's eyes deviated to the plate of food, and he was silent for a moment before uttering, "I'm not hungry," and placing his plate of food on the ground. Our cat, James Taylor, scuttled over and began to eat from his plate.
"Flick, come on. The Vet already said he was obese and you're gonna..." I sighed, "I can't deal with you right now. First you try to interfere on my life plans, and then you contribute to the death of JT." I shook my head, pushing my plate forward and standing up. "I'm going to my mom's house. She needs me."
Flick furrowed his eyebrows and got up from his seat. "Mace, c'mon, wait-" I felt his skinny arms slide around my thick hips and I groaned, throwing my head back in exaggerated annoyance. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just worry about you. I don't need you hurting yourself, God knows I've lost enough loved ones in my life. Dad doesn't want me, Mom's locked up, now. The only woman that really loved me, Rachel's dead."

I could feel the life drain from those sweet, grey eyes. "She wasn't the only woman that loved you, Flick. I do." I turned my head to look up at him briefly before turning around and cupping my hands on the sides of his face, pulling him into a soft kiss. "Your shift starts soon, babe. I'll see you when you get home. You can't afford to miss another day of work; we're barely making it by." I said honestly. "You ever thought about getting rid of JT?" Flick's eyes diverted to the fat, lard of a cat that licked the bacon grease from the now empty plate
"No," I said easily, "He's like our little son. Have you ever thought of getting rid of him?"
"No," Flick guffawed. "That cat'll be by our side until he dies of a some...massive food coma."
"I wouldn't have it any other way." I spoke in all conscience, my dark brown eyes locking with Flick's for what seemed to be the large part of a long while.
Dear Flick,

Happy 18th birthday! Today you spent the day with me and we moved in together. The apartment is small, but for the two of us it's perfect. Right now, you decided to be a gentleman and unpack my luggage for me. Tomorrow we are going to the pet store to adopt our first pet: a cat, like we always wanted. I hope she is a girl! I want to name her Cali. The fact that we are living together is so surreal. The last four years that we have been together have been the most wild ride, and I'm beyond proud of how far you have come! You are the best boyfriend I could ever wish to have.
The apple of your eye,

Miss Macey Arlo