Part 6

Cole held his breath as the comment slipped from his lips, fearing that the happiness he had seen on her face earlier would disappear.  He didn’t know why he had said it, maybe it was the fact that he was caught up in the way she had smiled up at him, or maybe it was the shock of her asking him out on a date.  Whatever it was, Cole hoped like hell that his words wouldn’t dampen her joy.

Laughter spilled from her lips, and the dread in the pit of his stomach lifted, causing him to laugh along with her.  He watched as her eyes lit up, her smile widened, and he knew that his earlier thoughts were blown out the window.  There was no way he’d be able to stay away from her, not if she kept looking at him like that, not if she kept smiling like it was the happiest day in her life.

“You should do that more often,” he whispered when she turned towards her car.

Glancing over her shoulder, she frowned.  “Do what?”

“Laugh.”

She turned away from him once more, forcing him to follow her if he wanted to ride with her to get breakfast, but when she spoke again, he could hear the smile in her voice.  “Isn’t that why Faith sent you to me?”

Catching up to her, he pulled her car door open before she could do it herself.  “I’m starting to wonder if it isn’t the other way around.”

Her mouth opened, but instead of replying, she slipped into her seat.  He eased the car door shut behind her and let out a whoosh of air.  What in the hell was he doing?  Hadn’t he told himself just moments earlier that he couldn’t get involved with her, couldn’t be in a serious relationship when his time was taken elsewhere?  He couldn’t do this to her, not after the smile she had sent him, not after she was just beginning to warm up to him. 

With her in the car, out of sight, and the cold air blowing in his face, his thoughts were clear.  He couldn’t hurt her.  She was Faith and Nick’s friend, but that wasn’t the only reason he wouldn’t let this thing go too far.  Without a doubt in his mind, he knew that he could have something with this woman that he had never had before, and that thought scared him.  If he really wanted, if he tried, this woman could be a part of his future, could be the family that he had never had.

“Are you alright?”

Cole jerked away from her door, sending her a sheepish smile.  “Sorry, Nat, just daydreaming.”  Taking a step back, he nodded towards her window.  “Roll that back up and start the heater.  I just have to run in really quick and get something from Nick.”

By the confusion on her face, he knew that she didn’t quite believe his words, but at that moment, he didn’t want to think of a better excuse.  As much as he prided himself on being able to take care of himself, right then, he needed help.  He needed someone to tell him that getting involved with Nat was a bad move, not only professionally but personally.  As soon as Nick told him that, he’d go on their breakfast date, treat her like he would Faith, and then move on, just as he did with the other women in his life. 

Turning his back to her, he made his way towards the small bookshop, forcing himself not to run.  In all honesty, he had to admit to himself that he was being ridiculous.  Nat hadn’t promised a future, hadn’t even hinted that she wanted more from him, but still, that fear was there.