chapter twenty-nine

I pull back, an elevated feeling spreading throughout my chest. Pete's at a loss for words; he sputters as crimson patches fill his cheeks. My lips are tingling ever so slightly from the contact, but it's not bad.

He finally manages to choke my name out, accompanied with shaky syllables. "P-Patrick..."

I smirk and pull him into an embrace. He exhales slowly into my neck, his arms wrapped around me almost protectively.

Then I remember that we're in a school restroom, and release him gently. He too realizes this and laughs sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"We ought to head to class." As if it weren't obvious. I merely grin, rushing out of the bathroom to get our things and make our way towards our next class period.

*

All that resonates in my chest for the rest of the day is warmth. It'd been so long since I felt so strongly, so emotionally. Once more my attention is unfocused, as I struggle with keeping up with the lectures and notes I ought to be taking.

During dismissal, I think of Mikey and what he said at lunch. Was it really obvious that Pete liked - loved - me? Heat began to cover my face as I swung my backpack on my shoulder, heading out the doors to my house.

A tap on my shoulder halted me and I turned around to see Pete, holding the clothes I left at his house. "I nearly forgot to bring these to you, haha..." His face turns red as I take the bundle. We make eye contact and I grin, quite aware of the blush that is surely painting my cheeks. I nod a bit, then begin to turn when he exclaims, "Wait!"

I return my gaze and he chuckles sheepishly. "Um, do you think you could come over tomorrow? I'll pick you up and whatnot."

I nodded slowly and he smiled, dipping his head and then stalking off to the parking lot. I resumed to my trek back home but there was now a nagging thought in my head.

What would Dad say after my disappearance last night? Would he let me visit Pete tomorrow? Dread began to rise in my stomach yet I resisted the urge to vomit.

Upon arriving I was greeted with absolute silence. I remembered that he was working late and sighed, heading upstairs. I needed a confirmation before I could go - naturally, I'm not comfortable with sneaking out unbeknownst to my father.

After changing into home clothes, I text my dad about seeing Pete. He responds rather quickly and I'm quite nervous to open up the message.

dad
Where were you last night? at least let me know so i dont have a heart attack trying to look for you.

Guilt courses through my veins as I reply.

pete's house. it was an emergency. he had a mental breakdown and there was nobody else for him to turn to.

dad
I see. in that case, yes you can go over to his house, but please let me Know if you're going to do something like that again.

A small sense of triumph and relief overwhelms me, soon replaced with anticipation for tomorrow.

*

I ring his doorbell, running a hand through my hair.

The door swings open, revealing Pete with a huge grin on his face. It inevitably brings one to mine as I step in after him.

"So," he says, clasping his hands together after we've settled. "This may be a bit of a stretch, and I probably should've told you what I had in mind but - " he pauses, taking my hand in his. "Pat, I...Want to help you speak."

I perk up. Of all the things he could've said or offered, this was the last thing I expected. I'm quite taken aback and his face falters at my expression.

Hurriedly I give him a thumbs up and a vigorous nod, not wanting to disappoint him. He lights up, squeezing my hand gently.

"Let's start easy, shall we?" He gets up and vanishes into the kitchen, returning with a glass of water. "I hope this helps."

I smile and take a gulp of the water, feeling it run down my throat.

"Start with your name," he says. I chuckle inwardly; it's as if I'm a newborn baby and Pete's the parent who wants their child to over achieve and speak right away.

I swallow one last time. At this point I realize how difficult it is to speak after being silent for so damn long. It's almost a struggle for me because it feels like I need to open a door, a door that encases my voice, and it's jammed. Pete notices too and places a hand on my shoulder.

Taking a deep breath, I open my mouth and expect silence but a small squeak is emitted instead.

Pete snorts then covers his mouth. "Sorry, heh. It's...Uh, definitely some progress." He bites his lip, stifling a smirk.

I roll my eyes, then focusing on swinging open that door. It's ajar but that's not enough to help me speak properly.

"Look - okay, here." Pete shifts slightly so we're full on facing each other. "Pah." He mouths it first, then says it vocally. A second after that he looks down. "Honestly I don't know if this'll help you but, erm, try to repeat after me." He blushes.

So I do what he does; several times, in fact, because all I result in are dry squeaks. After what felt like the hundredth try, a faint "Pah" left my mouth.

Pete jumped up, almost excitedly. "Yes! Now, 'Trick'."

I do the same method as before, satisfied and giddy when a soft "trick" is emitted. I then take a sip of water and attempt at saying it all together, trying to make my voice louder.

"Patrick."

Pete giggles with excitement. "Yes, babe!" He leans forward and gives me a warm hug, which I return. My cheeks grow red at him calling me "babe".

He pulls back. "I - uh, sorry for calling you that." Pete's entire face is a ripe shade of red. I smirk and tackle him on the couch, giving him a kiss on the cheek. As we lay, I whisper something shakily into his ear.

"I love you."