★★★ Chapter One ★★★

Song Setting: Comeback | Fox Stevenson

Character of the Week: Frostkit

Three kits, born of fire, were carried away from the broken home, leaving the terror of death and desolation in their wake. They followed the winding river towards the distant lights, where the warm comfort of safety beckoned them, and the determination of their hearts drove them forward.

But the shadows watched, and awaited the arrival of their prophesied demise. The moon glowed crimson, and the creatures of the dark followed, waiting for the most opportune moment to strike. In a last effort, the kits were cast into the river on a wooden raft, while the water carried them away from the trodden path.

When the first ray of dawn struck the clouds, chasing away the looming darkness, the water ran with blood and decay. The smoldering forest lay in pitiful remains, its ashes scattered to the relentless wind.

A grieving queen mourned by the river, her unborn kit buried beneath her paws with the promise of being forever in her heart. Another cat sat beside her, gaze set upon the hazy sky, when a sudden noise broke the silence of agony. Wading towards the reeds, they discovered three kits caught in the current, clinging to the little life they had left.

A spirit appeared before them, a gaping hole in her chest where a heart should have been. She spoke of a prophecy as her eyes began to fade, her last sorrowful words warped as she melted into the shadows. The queen took the kits as her own, and brought them to safety, with a new promise to uphold.

One of the kits was destined to save the Clans.

And no one else could know.

★★★ Three Moons Later ★★★

"Windkit, Jaykit, get off of your brother! Snowkit, don't chew on your tail; Raggedkit, stop making fun of Icekit's fur! And Frostkit, for the last time, you can't eat my herbs," Hollyheart exclaimed, trying to herd the group of kits back towards the nursery and away from the group of warriors leaving for the dawn patrol. The seven kits continued to chase after each other, giggling as they encircled Hollyheart and tried to trip her. "This is why I became a medicine cat!" The she-cat meowed, a moment before a small white tom attempted to tackle her.

"Begone, evil WitherClan cat!" Snowkit shrieked, leaping onto the medicine cat's back. His sister, Icekit, grabbed a hold of one of the medicine cat's front legs, and the other five got the idea.

"Snowkit, WitherClan's not evil! Don't make me have a talk with your mother!" Snowkit dug his tiny claws into her scruff, while the bewildered medicine cat gently tried to shake him off. Hollyheart began to turn to the right to grab the kit, who always managed to stay out of her reach. The kits squeaked in delight, trotting behind in a ragtag procession.

"It's a traitorous AmberClan cat!" Icekit jeered, egging the tom on.

Hollyheart groaned, "Alright, that's fair," She decided, softly pushing each of the kits away as they attacked her one by one. Frostkit had been strenuously climbing a small rock beside Hollyheart, and once she reached the top, she sunk into a crouch and then launched herself from it, toppling the medicine cat. "Hey-!" Hollyheart tried, finding herself covered in small wriggling kits a moment later.