No Rainbow Without Rain

The Doctor:

"Hit me, hit me, hit me with your rhythm stick." I sang to myself, lying under the console as I worked on it. Jace and Rose had gone to bed a while ago, and I never really slept, so decided to have a go at turning off the inbuilt timing, so no time really passed. It meant Jace and Rose would only age when we were out of the TARDIS. 

Problem was, I couldn't see time passing, so I didn't know if it worked, so was just tinkering by this point. Until the cat decided to come and lie on my face. "Rain, you're supposed to be with Jace!" I told her, getting up and moving the tiny cat, who like Jace, had been adopted off the streets and had become part of the family. 

Rain had loved Jack, but every single ounce of me had to leave him because what he was would have driven me insane. The cat also hated Rose, but Rose was more of a dog person. Strange. "Rain, you're not supposed to be here."

She meowed plentifully, then jumped off me and started walking back into the rest of the TARDIS, then looked back to me expectantly. "Oh, am I supposed to follow you, am I?" I asked her, getting to my feet. "I thought I was the intelligent Time Lord here, not you." Rain just meowed again, and stalked off, long tail waving in the air. "Oh, you're full of yourself, aren't you?"

I followed her back through the TARDIS, and heard music coming light and airy through the corridors, and realised Jace couldn't sleep again, so had come back to her favourite room. Her piano skills had tripled since her awakening, and she was harder on herself when she messed up, because she was pure sound. "Ah, is this what you wanted to show me, little cat?"

"Meow mow meow mow." Well, obviously. "Meow Meow Meow mow."

"Rain, she's 15, and she doesn't sleep walk."

"Meow meow meow."

"Seriously. Rain, she's fine, she just can't sleep." I followed the cat into the music room  and saw her sat at the piano. "Jace? Love, come on, bed." She kept playing, and the tablet wasn't on yet she was playing something I'd never heard her play. "OK, Rain, you win. She's playing piano in her sleep."

The cat just meowed back and jumped onto the piano, curled into a ball, and fell asleep. Well, that was useful. "Jace? Love, don't freak out, I'm just going to pick you up, OK?" Nothing happened, she just kept playing, soft and simple, but like the northern lights were in here. I carefully scooped her up and she cuddled into me, and Rain got frustrated when she had to get up and follow us again.

Her room, was a tip. Jace had always been tidy, and she hated anything not being in what she called a harmonious balance because it gave her a headache, and now, it was giving me a headache because there were clothes and books everywhere, her guitar lying on the floor, the plec next to it. "What have you been up to, Dear?" I asked my little girl as I lay her on the bed. "Your mind is so troubled."

"Meow, meow mow meow."

"Rain, I'm not going into her head, that's not a good thing to do. She'll wake up later."

This cat was relentless. "Meow meow meow meow meow."

"Come on, its just a side affect of these tablets. She'll be fine." She finally gave up and just fell asleep, nestled in a pile of clothes. "OK, Jace, whenever you're ready." Her nose started bleeding. "Jace? Jace, wake up. Come on, wake up!"

She stirred, her eyes flickering open, staring sightlessly up. "Dad? Dad, my head..." Her eyes were now swirling with different colours again, purples and red and blues, before settling on the blue. "Theres something in my head, a song, and its so loud..."

"It's OK, just go back to sleep." I whispered, pressing my fingers lightly to her temple and making her brain shut down for a while as Rain came back over, nuzzling her face. "OK, you win, cat, I'm going into her head. But you're coming with me."