Chapter 1

1

We get today off because it's the Premier's speech. All the faculties

take a break for the day and we all meet up in the City Square as we listen and take notes about the Premier's speech and it's meaning. He does it every year to remind us that the future has good intentions for us and the city. Too bad the founders didn't have good intentions for us, too.

"Chey!" I turn my head when I hear Nick calling my name. Nick is my boyfriend and my best friend. Two good things combined into one. Though we haven't done anything official yet like go out on a date.

He pulls me into a hug. When I just breathe into his shirt, unmoving and limp, he lets go and takes a step back, frowning. "You okay?" he asks.

"Fine," I answer. "The crowd is just making me a little claustrophobic."

"Wanna get out of here?" he says, and I nod in relief as we push our way through the crowded halls of students, all going to the Square for the city-wide speech.

"Wait," I say suddenly.

Nick taps my shoulder. "What is it?"

I squeeze my eyes together in frustration. I can't think with all the loud voices, heavy footsteps and teenagers shoving through the halls. "I forgot my notebook."

"I'll go get it. Just..stay here, okay?" I can hear the reluctance in his voice.

"I'll be fine. I'll wait by the red flags, so you can find me."

"Okay." his hand finds mine, and he squeezes them before planting a small kiss on my forehead. "I'll be right back. I'll see you there." he smiles, and I nod, blinking back my pain from my throbbing head. I slowly make my way out of the institution and by the flights of concrete stairs, where the Republic's flags are.

As I sit on the stairs besides the flags, moving with the wind, students rushing past me, I am terrified Nick won't return to me. I watch everyone who goes by, because there's a chance it could be Nick. But he doesn't come. I'm shivering from the cold, and goosebumps prickle on my skin. The rips in my jeans expose my skin to the cold air, and my sweater suddenly feels thin. I can't make the nauseous feeling go away. I stick my hands in my pockets, tuck strands of my hair behind my ear and wait. And wait.

I hear an announcement that tells the faculties where to bring the students for the premier's speech, and I panic. Everyone must be there by now, waiting in a mob of students. The superintendents must be counting us all, looking for missing students. I'm all alone in front of the institution. Nick still isn't here. I should have gone with him. I shouldn't have sent him alone to get my notebook with the shortage of time at hand. I put my head between my knees, rocking back and forth. My heart's in my throat, my breaths short and ragged.

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm late but we gotta go." Nick bends down and whispers in my ear, placing a warm hand on my shoulder. I'm on such an edge that I jump, and he puts an arm around me. My face is pale, and I'm so glad he's here.

"Nick," I say breathlessly, and glance at my notebook that is tucked under his arm. "You're here."

"Yeah sorry I'm late. Had to get through all the crowds."

"Okay. Can we just go?" I say, and he grabs my hand, and we run as fast as we can to the City Square because we missed the skytrain.

When we arrive in the center of the town, a mob of teenagers fill the Square. We aren't late. We didn't miss anything. Relief washes over me, and I release the breath I was holding. A superintendent glances at us, and I keep my gaze down. Hopefully she won't report our tardiness. It is silent for two long minutes. All 1456 of us are just standing, shivering, breathing in unison. Then, the Premier takes a breath to lead the pledge we say every Friday, the last day of the week that we are working.