Chapter 5

The days had become considerably better after the morning when I had made up my mind to bring Ben down. At nightfall, when Hannah and Jess went to sleep, I would lie awake in my bed and think of a plot to keep Hannah and Jess safe.

I won’t be played around by Ben anymore. I wasn’t about to lose anyone else or my new founded life.

The problem was; I still hadn’t been able to think of a plan where I could unleash the horrors of Ben’s deeds on him. How was I to find a weakness which will bring his whole set up down? The police were of no help at all. I remembered the look of shock when I mentioned Ben Thomson as the killer of my friends. They thought I was raving mad, making up stories of my own.

But alas! I had no proof against him to prove him guilty. He was such an intimidating personality and was very well known among the police department probably. They worshipped him.

I had to do something. But I couldn’t let Hannah or Jess know. They’ll definitely try to put a stop to whatever I plan. I’ll have to leave them and go on this mission alone. If I succeed, I’ll return to my family.

If… my heart pined at the thought. If I want to keep Hannah happy, I’ll have to do this. I won’t be a coward anymore.

‘Ale, would you mind taking these waffles over to Peter’s? Hannah made these for him.’ Jess was holding out a large dish which was covered in foil. ‘Thanks! I’m thinking of going for shopping. I badly need a new pair of converses. Mine are so worn out now that I can almost feel the ground I walk on! Do you need anything?’

‘No thanks, but don’t forget to grab a bag of raisins too. Hannah wanted those.’ Jess nodded and I took the dish from her. 

Peter was family for Hannah too. While his father went on business tours abroad, Hannah made sure that Peter remained well fed. He lived right across the road in a house designed very similar to ours. He was 19 and had finished high school, but before he could enroll into a college, he was taking a year off so that he could work and save a little for his future. I envied him for his decency and insight. Despite having a father who could easily fund his education, he wanted to be as independent as possible.

I opened the latch of the fence door to his house and reached the door. It was open so I didn’t bother ringing.

‘Peter? You there?’

Loud footsteps followed my echo as Peter came running down the wooden staircase fitted on the far end of the living room.

‘Yum!’ He hastened to grab the dish from my hand and placed it on the center table. Peeling off the wrapping he looked at me pleadingly. ‘Would you mind getting berries and cream from the refrigerator? I’m totally famished!’

I rolled my eyes and he grinned in response. 

The living room was a wide room with a wooden flooring and polka-dotted in grey and white. The wall-paper ended halfway across the wall and was painted in a deluxe grey. A huge white and orange contemporary sofa rested in the middle of the room accessorized with a round white table. A big LCD was hanging from one of the walls which was tuned onto some sports channel.

I switched on the kitchen light and grabbed two bowls from the refrigerator. Placing them on the table beside the waffle dish, I sat on the sofa. Peter was stowing huge chunks of waffles into his mouth. ‘Are you just going to sit and stare or will you join me?’

‘I just lost my appetite seeing you eat like a glutton!’ I grimaced.

‘Suit yourself.’ He said cheekily, speaking with his mouthful. ‘Well, at least talk about something while I eat’

I shrugged. ‘I have nothing new to tell.’

‘How about, you complete your story.’ He was eyeing me warily. ‘My story?’ He nodded. ‘I still don’t know what happened with Ben and Karen.’

It took me a moment to realize what he was asking for. I remembered the last time I had begun telling him my story. I shuddered. He didn’t say anything else but busied himself with the food while I processed his request.

I didn’t think twice before starting a fresh account of ‘Ben and his Atrocities’.  

Since after our last meeting, Ben became a frequent visitor. Each time he came driving a different car which was always too extravagant for our little neighborhood. I usually stayed out of his way but nevertheless whenever I met him I had a strange feeling that he was dangerous. 

One evening, while I was doing my homework in my bedroom upstairs, Karen called me downstairs. I hurried downstairs to find Ben sitting on the lounger. He was wearing a black Italian suit with a grey tie peeking through the V of his coat. He could have easily been modeling for the suit or the huge cigar that was perched in his hand.

Karen looked flushed. Her cheeks were glowing and had a pool of red on both her cheeks. To my horror, I saw a huge diamond ring sitting on her left hand’s ring finger. It was beautiful. A big square diamond was encased amid an intricate pattern of flowers which were also beaded with small diamonds. Karen’s eyes seemed to be glued to the ring.

Ben smiled. ‘We are getting married!’ He waved his hand towards me. ‘We know you’ll love to be our bridesmaid. And surely, you won’t mind moving to my house.’

I felt rooted to the spot. I couldn’t utter a word. Suddenly, Ben stood up and wrapped a single arm around me. ‘We’ll be a family! A very, very happy family.’

A week later I stood at the church, wearing an expensive pink silk gown. The blouse was sequined with silver, sparkly beads and reached the straps of the dress. My hair had been styled by some stylist into an elegant knot. Everything seemed too flashy. Thanks to Ben’s big wallet.

After the end of the ceremony, I was taken straight to my new home. It was huge. It looked more like a palace which had each and every modern-tech facility available. My room was plush and pink. The bed was feather soft and I had a huge screen installed into the wall opposite my bed. It was a dream room, yet I couldn’t feel any less happy about it. Ben still gave me the creeps.

A month had already gone by since the great matrimonial vows. I was lying in my bed trying to sleep when I heard the bedroom door creak open. Ben walked in and sat on the edge of my bed. I pretended to be asleep. He moved his hand to my face while I kept my eyes shut tightly. My breathing had halted. 

He moved his hand slowly across my back and I felt his cold hand on my bare skin. My eyes snapped open on their own accord. Ben still didn’t remove his hand from beneath my shirt. ‘Shh … this is our little secret.’ Saying this he moved forward, kissing the top of my head and stealthily moved out of the room.

I was left lying in my bed. My each and every nerve of the body was shivering and screaming in repulsion. I was scared, scared of the man now who claimed to be my father. I hurried out of the sheets and ran to lock my door. 

My heart was still racing and my legs felt like lead. What is going to happen to me now? I sat down on my bed, cradling my knees close to my chest. I couldn’t stop the uncontrollable trembling or the tears which were dripping down my face infinitely.   

 AN: Hey guys, I know I haven't been a good writer lately.. I updated really late! But just like I promised... this chapter has been update early!

Sooo.. do you already hate Ben? Poor Alene! She had to go through all this and couldn't even tell anyone.

Please don't be a silent reader... comment and vote please :) PRETTY PLEASE!!

Oh oh.. i almost forgot... the picture on the right is.. yesssss.. its Peter :D

What do you think about him? Waiting for comments!!!