Hell Hath No Fury

At the sound of a key turning in the rusted metal lock, Cassandra raised her head wearily, her black hair framing her deathly pale face in dull tangles. She couldn’t remember the last time she had smiled, it felt so long ago, but as soon as her eyes locked onto the familiar blue ones, she beamed like a thousand suns.

“Cassie!” he breathed out in relief, running into her cell and crouching down beside her, pushing a strand of hair away from her forehead “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.”

“You’re here now, Edward,” she whispered, cupping his cheek lovingly “That’s all that matters.”

His lips pressed against her own chapped ones, claiming her in a desperate kiss. She felt safe in his embrace, as if nothing could ever go wrong again. Her hands found their way to his hair and she clutched it in clenched fists as he deepened the kiss. Finally, Cassie allowed herself to get lost in the passion, just once, just for a second…

When their lips finally parted, Edward took her hands in his and pulled her gently to her feet. As soon as she was steady, one hand strayed to her swelling stomach. He grinned as he felt the baby kick.

“She didn’t hurt you, did she?” he asked.

“No… Not physically, anyway…” she responded.

Suddenly, she felt a sharp twinge in her stomach and gasped in surprise. She grabbed onto Edward’s arm as a rush of dizziness washed over her. Another pain hit her. Oh god, please no. She couldn’t have this baby now. Not here. Not now.

“Cassie, what’s wrong?” asked Edward in alarm.  

“The baby! She’s coming!” cried Cassandra, sinking to the floor and bracing herself against the wall.

“It’s going to be ok! I promise!” he responded, holding her close to him “You’re both going to be just fine!”

“No, no, you don’t understand. Evelyn… she’ll hurt her! Please, Edward, there has to be a way to stop it. Just until we get back to your castle!” pleaded Cassandra “I can’t do this!”

“Calm down, Cas, there’s nothing we can do. Our child is coming now. We can’t stop it. Just breathe.”

“Please, Edward… Please…”

“I’ll protect you both. Evelyn won’t get past me. I swear!”

In one fluid motion, he unsheathed his sword, the blade catching in the dim light and making her almost believe that it would be enough to stop her older sister from slaughtering them all. Almost.

“I love you, Edward,” she said, digging her nails into the cracks on the wall to alleviate the rapidly worsening pain.

“I love you, too, Cassandra. Always and forever,” he replied “Just breathe through it.”

 *****

Cassandra screamed as she gave every ounce of strength she had left to this push; this one final push. She collapsed against her love and smiled as cries echoed in the small space. Her daughter’s cries.

“She’s perfect, sister,” said Annabel in awe, as she wrapped the child securely in a blanket to ward off the chill.

“I… can I hold her?” asked Cassandra, breathless with the exertion.  

Edward helped her into a sitting position, and she ignored the pain between her legs. All she wanted was to hold her child. It was an exhilarating experience as the fragile little human being was placed in her outstretched arms and then moved close to her chest. It was even more amazing when she stopped crying almost instantly. She cradled her, wishing she could hold her forever, before dropping a kiss on her daughter’s forehead, silent tears streaming down her grimy cheeks.

“I never wanted this, my daughter,” she whispered, softly “But I promise I will see you again.”

“Cassandra, what are you talking about?” asked Edward, taking his daughter’s tiny hand and watching in fascination as she grabbed his finger with unexpected strength.

“Evelyn won’t stop until she’s dead, Edward. There’s no way we can protect her. Not against her magic…” she answered, trying desperately not to cry “It’s the only way she’ll be safe.”

Edward didn’t say anything, just stroked her hair as she buried her face into his chest as sobs wracked her frail body. A single tear slipped from his eye and he didn’t bother trying to wipe it away.

“Annabel…” he began, his voice catching “Take our daughter. Get her to safety. Please…”

“I’ll make sure she is safe and out of harm’s way. It’s my fault she was born down here and not safe in your home… with the protection of an army,” responded Annabel, reaching to take the precious bundle “I’ll get her to safety if it’s the last thing I ever do.”

“Thank you, Anna,” hiccupped Cassandra.

“Goodbye, Cassandra. Edward,” finished Annabel, nodding to each of them as she stepped carefully out of the cell, taking a deep breath.

The child… She knew where to take her.

A/N - Finally, I had the inspiration and time to write again :) This is just the prologue and everything will become much clearer in the future chapters. I will be switching between Cassandra's world and her daughter's world.

Please leave me feedback if you can :D

Rachel xxx