chapter 2: the journey

When Herenui woke up, a headache and extreme fatigue overwhelmed her. She had a restless sleep, with bloody dreams where the tinkling of the blades and the cries of pain and panic intermingled. When she opened her eyes, she did not find the comforting atmosphere of her room, austere but full of memories. She had trouble understanding that she was in the hold of a boat. Then suddenly the harsh reality surfaced. Her friends dying one by one, the shooting pain in the thigh and the blow to the head. She wanted to feel her skull in search of a possible bump but she failed to lift her arm. She turned her gaze on the side and crossed the one of a benevolent old woman sitting near her.

-' You shouldn't move" advised her the elder "your body has not yet recovered and you might make your fever go up again."

Actually, Herenui felt drained. It was an after effect of all her efforts during the battle. In Exchange for their extraordinary strength, the Demons could be victims of large outbreaks of fever and paralysis in the following days if they were using their reserves to the maximum. The latest incidents had caused the girl to use all of her resources and it was surely the price to pay. The lady soon confirmed it.
-' You were unconscious a day and a half. I have cleaned and bandaged your wounds. If you rest well, you should make it. Here, eat a little while you are awake, because you didn't have anything since you are here"

The apprentice let herself get fed. She had difficulty chewing food that gave her her healthcare but she forced herself to swallow everything to regain strength. She observed her benefactor. She had around 60 years, some wrinkles marked her forehead but she had an elegant head carriage, reflecting the proud mentality of the inhabitants of the archipelago.
-"What is your name?" inquired the girl, trying to show the due respect to seniors that was taught at the Guild.
-'Manava. And you, what is your name? I have never seen you in the city before, where are you from? ''
-"My name is Herenui. I come from the capital. I am an apprentice in the Guild of Tuamotu. We had been sent to Cy'erith to investigate about suspicious movements of foreign vessels. Unfortunately we arrived too late... And we have been caught up in the attack. Are we in a boat of the attackers?
- Yes we are. They managed to catch a hundred of us. You're in the boat where women and children were grouped , men have embarked on an other one. »
Herenui hardly turned her head and saw many women taking care of children. All prisoners appeared to be in good health and not wounded. It didn't take not long before she understood what awaited them.
-"They will sell us into slavery eh?" she asked, her throat knotted.
- 'I'm afraid, youg one, you need to be strong. But from what I've seen, you have survived the battle, so I know that you'll manage.
Tears began to fill her eyes. Unlike what her first name said, the gods of the sky seemed to have abandoned her. Everything she had dreamed about before collapsed. She had spent so many hours to train. All those nights where she had to treat cuts and various bruises received during the exercises, all parts of the body dulled by fatigue related to the activities. She wanted to be part of the best assassins as soon as possible. This was her goal from the start, as soon as she could walk, surrounded by the best masters of the Guild: Hinevara, who later became her instructor, was a young smiling woman, who had climbed the ladder at impressive speed, doing the most perilous missions with brio. She was one of the youngest assassins to integrate the Council of ten. There, she met the mysterious Raihai, a mercenary and warrior unparalleled, leading all his missions only with his sabre. It was love at first sight and they quickly formed the most effective couple of the Guild. They took under their wing the little orphan and passed her as many techniques she could absorb. The girl was eager for knowledge and redoubled her efforts. Her hands were covered with blisters by the dint of handling the sword with an expert as demanding and uncompromising as the young man. And his wife left no respite to Herenui. She taught her the art of poisons and stealth. She had spent grueling nights to watch countless targets without getting spotted under the impartial eye of her preceptor. But these years of hard work came to be wiped out in a morning. She remembered seeing Hinevara collapse and tried to locate her in the room, but her paralysis prevented her to scrutinize the entire piece.
-"Do you know if there are other members of my Guild?"
-'Not in our hold in any case, I am sorry. You are the only one that does not belong to the city here. Perhaps there are among men but I do not think so. »
The assassin had a pinch in the heart. Was she the only survivor of her detachment? Had all her friends been killed? Or had they been left dying on the spot? If that were the case, she hoped that residents would handle her wounded comrades. Would she ever see her two mentors again? Raihai had not gone with them to Cy'erith, and Hinevara could have survived, but the girl was, herself, in a situation offering no escape.
-' I'll change your compress' announced the old lady ' Raurii! Bring me bandages and water please. »
Herenui saw from the corner of her eye a young woman about thirty years old getting up then going out of her field of vision. She came back a few seconds later, deposed bands of tissue and went seeking two basins of water.
-' Would you like some help for something else mom? "Inquired the woman
-"Yes, help me to take care of Herenui, I need to clean and change her bandages. Give her her toilet, and clean her hair. I didn't have enough water to do it the day before, but this dried blood is disgusting"
Seeing the embarrassed and bright red face the owner of this mop of hair, the daughter scolded her mother on her lack of delicacy. She attracted a basin to her while listening to her mother's spawning grumble by making grand gestures. She moistened a piece of cloth and leaned on the patient.
-'Hello Herenui, my name is Raurii. I hope that my mother did not bother you too much." a mischievous smile punctuated by a wink supporting his joke.
-' On the contrary, I am very grateful for her taking care of me' answered seriously the invalid. Within her caste, where a military rigor reigned, she had learned to be courteous and polite to the eldery.
-"You should learn to be as respectful, ungrateful daughter" replied in a jeering way Manava.
The two women laughed gently and began the treatement of the youngest, Discussing everything and anything. Herenui did not understand how they could be so relaxed despite the fate awaiting them. Were they not aware that the situation they were heading to was hopeless? They were to become slaves, on an unknown land, alone, at the service of foreigners which they knew nothing of. Against her silence and her serious llok, they decided to try to get her to say a few words.
-' How old are you?"inquired Raurii
- "fourteen, soon thirteen.
- And you have participated in the battle? " asked, suirprised, the young woman.
-'Yes, I am part of the Tuamotu Guild, we were on a mission in the city. We had evacuated most of the residents but had been caught by the assailants and we had to defend ourselves. »
Remembering this made her eyes wet. It all seemed so unreal. She had spent the first fourteen years of her life in this 'family '. Her world revolved around the organization. She only knew that. And all this was pulled off in a second. A sob lifted her chest. As soon as Raurii saw it,she comforted her. She had also lost a loved one during the assault. Her husband was part of the guards on duty. There was little chance that he survived, and even if that were the case, his wife was en route to the Continent and she would never see him again. Little by little, the girl calmed down. Toilet resumed its course and Herenui gradually regained her cold blood which was usually praised by numbers of assassins. Water dripping on her wounds made her tore a few grimaces, but this helped getting her out of this cloudy state she was in. The two women went to some other tasks once they had finished with the injured. They returned to her side once the meal was served by the jailers and took turns to feed her and make her drink. The fatigue starting to be felt, they lied down near the girl and all three fell asleep. Thus the second day of the journey ended.

The next morning, Herenui could move her body, even if the slightest movement aroused painful sensations. She was able to take her meals alone. But her left leg, where she had received the dagger, prevented her from walking. Besides, Manava would not have allowed her to stand. But habits are hard to die, and she decided to exercise to the best that she could. Despite the complaints of her body, she did not stop before doing a session she judged satisfactory. Herenui rested a little then some captives came to make her acquaintance. Many had been separated from their families and were anxious at the idea of becoming slaves. A little later, children, intrigued by the bandages and the workouts of the girl, assaulted her with questions as soon as her two caregivers had their back turned. She had spent the evening playing with them. All this fuss did end the day faster.