Chapter 17: Forgiven

Carter
I wake up to my the smell of bacon and let out a yawn. My head hurts from all the crying yesterday. Kevin is in a coma. He has a broken collar bone, seven fractured ribs, and a concussion.

Aunt Hellen is very fazed. She walks around the house like she's a zombie. Her eyes red and extremely swollen. She's not going to work today, and I'm not going to school. But I do have to start on a project that's supposed to be due today.

I go downstairs to see Aunt Hellen making breakfast. She smiles at me before going back to cooking. "Good morning," she says quietly.

I smile at her. "It's past noon. Why are you making breakfast?"

She shrugs. "I'm in a breakfast mood."

I roll my eyes before heading upstairs to get ready. We are going to the hospital later and I don't really feel like going in pajamas - even if they are comfortable.

I head in the shower, washing my hair with my coconut shampoo. I love coconut. I don't like eating them. But I love the artificial smell of it. After showering, I brush my teeth and comb through my hair. I can't stand blow drying it, it makes my hair frizzy.

As I was changing into my clothes, my phone goes off with a message. Then, only a few seconds later, with another.

I have one from Tommy and another from Lindy. I open Tommy's first.

Geez, Carter. I appreciate you leaving me today.

I roll my eyes. Aunt Hellen said I didn't have to go. You're so selfish

I added a winky face a few seconds after sending or he'll think I'm being serious.

A new message pops on the screen as I go to set it down. Are you going to the hospital?

Yeah, I reply, going to open Lindy's message.

Thank you, my wonderful best friend, for leaving me on a Thursday. I appreciate it.

Again, I roll my eyes. Sorry

Aunt Hellen calls me downstairs to eat before we leave and I tuck my phone in my pocket.

She was sitting on the dining table, a tear visible on her cheek. I let out a small sigh. I don't know what to tell her. She's hurting just as much as I am. Probably even more considering her thirteen year old son is in the hospital.

We both eat silently. I don't try to cheer her up. I don't say anything.

*~*~*~*~*

Aunt Hellen was pregnant with Kevin when she was twenty years old - about a week before her twenty-first birthday. She's only thirty-three. She looks like she's older because she's been stressed for the past few years. Making her look a lot older than she is.

But she had originally been with this twenty-three year old guy from college - she was a freshman in college, he was a junior- and he had really wanted to sleep with her.

Aunt Hellen, being the smart person she is, said no.

I know you're wondering how she has a child. Well one day, they had gone a party together. Long story short, she got drunk and a few months later, she was pregnant.

Turns out, he didn't really like her, just thought she was hot. When she told him, he basically told her to deal with it or they would break up. She didn't want to have an abort so she kept it. Soon becoming Kevin. Ib was born three years before him.

My aunt is still mad at him for just leaving her. She refuses to fall in love again. For fear that it might happen again.

So I understand why she's upset. I understand why she's acting as if it's the end of the world.

HEY!! ITS ONLY IN CARTER'S POV AND ITS THE SHORTEST CHAPTER IN THE STORY. BUT I FIGURED ITD BE EASIER THAN JUST CHANGING POVS.

SORRY ITS SO DEPRESSING. I PROMISE IT'LL BE A LOT MORE CHEERFUL - AND LONGER - IN YHE NEXT CHAPTER.

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE!!! SEE YPI NEXT WEEK!!!