15. The Gamble

MIKASA: "Sayaka Ackerman is one of my favorites," Dr. Jäeger said. "It's a shame we had to get rid of Mr. Ackerman to get to her."

I felt like I was six years old again, watching her die before my eyes. My throat nearly closed up, but I forced words out of it.

<Mom...you were dead! I saw you!"> I said. At this point I slipped into Japanese to talk to her.

<No...we were separated after they knocked me unconscious.> She corrected me.

I wanted to drop to my knees, but I couldn't risk dropping my gun.

"Dr. Jäeger, you bastard!" I shrieked. I'd lost my cool and now felt the hot rage that I knew Eren felt when he was angry.

I pointed my gun right at Dr. Jäeger, but he shifted Eren so I would shoot him instead.

"Why don't we play a little game," Dr. Jäeger proposed, "if your 'reinforcements' can successfully capture me in the next five minutes, you can take Sayaka and Eren."

"What about Ymir?" Historia demanded.

"It is her choice whether or not to go with you. But, know that if you manage to win them back, their deals will be broken. No longer would we be able to guarantee your safety from our wrath. I can't promise that the Titans will disband as soon as I'm captured." Dr. Jäeger stated.

I glanced at the clock: 8:55 exactly. At nine, we'd lose everything.

"Alright, we'll play your game," Levi decided.

The sweat beaded on my forehead; it was now 8:58, and in less than two minutes I'd lose everything.

The other Titans had now held us at gunpoint and would shoot the second the clock ticked 9:00.

The second hand ticked past the 12, marking 8:59.

"One minute left," Dr. Jäeger smirked. "Any last words?"

Levi opened his mouth, but the moment he did the door burst open.

"This is the police! Everyone drop your weapons and put your hands in the air!" Officer Ral announced, pointing her gun at Dr. Jäeger. "Release the boy, Dr. Jäeger. You're under arrest!"

The door suddenly slammed shut and locked, and someone fired a gun at the lights, shrouding us in darkness.