Chapter 4

Isabella's POV

"Do you know the full extent of your powers?" My brother asked me. 

No. I responded. I haven't tried to use any other than communicating with you.

Ahkmenrah looked at me, his eyes probing. "You are nervous of how powerful you may be."

I hesitated, unsure of how to respond to that. Yes, I finally admitted. I am worried of how much power is actually there. Staring back at him, I frowned slightly. Ahkmenrah... he will return. There will be no stopping him until he has what he wants.

"I will not let that happen, Isabella," he whispered, taking my hands in his own. "I promise I will not let him hurt you again."

I was about to respond to his statement, but was not allowed the chance. The older man, Larry as Ahkmenrah had informed me he was called, appeared in front of us. Curiously, I watched him. His eyes flickered between us, wondering if he had disrupted something. Yes, I answered his unspoken question. You have. But now that you are here, you may as well speak.

Frowning slightly at me, he looked at my brother. "It's almost sunrise. You should probably get ready."

Sunrise? I questioned. What happens at sunrise?

"You don't know?" Ahkmenrah's eyes were filled with surprise. Then it dawned on him. "Your powers protect you."

Protect me from what exactly? I was unsure of what he was referring to. 

Larry stepped forward. "The sun..." he started. "Exhibits of the Museum can't be outside during the day. The sun turns them to dust."

Raising both brows in shock, I looked at Larry. To dust? How is that possible?

"We are unsure of how it works, exactly. There are still things about the tablet that I do not know," Ahkmenrah explained, taking my hand as he stood. "Isabella, it might be best if you do not linger here. The director of the Museum might question you."

Hm. Where shall I go, then? 

Ahkmenrah turned his eyes to Larry. "Larry, do you think... Perhaps my sister could stay with you for the time being?"

What? I widened my eyes at my brother. 

Larry nodded. "Of course, Ahk. Whatever you need."

Larry opened the door and gestured me into the apartment first. "There's a spare bedroom in the back, next to Nicky's room," Larry told me. "Nick can show you the way. I'm going to get some sleep." He began to walk away but then turned back. "So do you like... do you eat or anything?"

Slightly amused by his question, I only tilted my head at him. 

He pursed his lips and nodded when I didn't reply. "Right. Well, ask Nicky for help if you need anything." And with that, he disappeared.

After glancing around the room for a moment, I looked down at Nicky only to see him watching me. Um... I felt a bit out of place in the apartment. It was not something I was used to, having grown up in Egypt for all my life. What do you normally do during the day?

"Do you ever actually talk?" Nicky questioned.

I only smiled slightly. Yes. Then I frowned. No. I do not actually remember the last time I have actually spoken.

Nicky hopped up onto the couch. "What powers do you have?"

Slowly stepping towards the couch to sit next to him, I shrugged. I am not sure. Other than this, I have not experimented with them.

"Do you want to try?" 

With a faint smirk, I looked at him with narrowed eyes. Are you suggesting we experiment with my powers right now? Inside your house?

Nicky only shrugged. "I'm kind of curious to see what you can do."

With a sigh, I moved to sit on the floor, against the couch so my posture was straight. Alright, I agreed. Looking back at him, I raised a finger. But if your father finds out, this was not my idea. Nicky grinned and sat down next to me. He got into a comfortable position before nodding at me, signalling that he was ready. With a deep breath and a slow exhale, I closed my eyes and focused.