Blending in pt5

When John got back to 221B Baker Street, it was 12:30am and Sherlock was up playing a maudlin tune on his violin. He was out of his clubbing clothes and in in his usual pyjamas and dressing gown combo.

He didn’t turn around as John entered the flat which was just fine by the doctor. He felt so tired, dejected and most of all confused. He just wanted a cup of tea and his bed. Turning to the kitchen, John busied himself making a hot drink. He had already made a tea for himself and a coffee for Sherlock before he realised what he’d done.

Not wanting to waste the coffee, John padded in to the living room and set the mug down near Sherlock and began walking towards the stairs with his own drink.

The violin stopped abruptly “Wait… John”.

Sherlock had spoken so quietly, it was most unlike him. Something in the tone of his voice made John stop and turn to his flat mate.

Sherlock stood there silently holding his violin, his tall, slim frame silhouetted by the moonlight shining through the window.

John decided to wait and see what Sherlock would say before exposing his own feelings.

Eventually Sherlock seemed to snap out of the trance he was in and put the violin down to rest. He picked up the coffee and walked to the sofa. “Thanks for this...” he nodded to his drink “I think I need it.”

“Come sit with me for a moment John, I think I need to say a few things.”

John sighed deeply, avoiding Sherlock’s gaze, staring in to his mug.

He made his way towards the sofa and sat down, turning his body towards his friend for the inevitable ‘chat’.

“John, I love my work” Sherlock began. “It invigorates me, it makes me feel alive and I’ve always focussed on the work. Sentiment is something that I’ve never tolerated or indulged in myself…”

“Just wait a minute Sherlock!” John interrupted loudly. “I don’t think I was the only one kissing back there. You kissed me back… you had your arms around me! Don’t tell me you didn’t enjoy it too.”

Then John witnessed something he’d never seen from Sherlock, his friend blushed and looked at the coffee in his hands.

“I realise you’re going to tell me that we shouldn’t have kissed like that and you don’t think of me that way and you don’t do ‘sentiment’…” John took a deep breath and released it slowly, placing his cup on the floor.

“And it’s fine Sherlock. We did what we did in order to stay undercover and … I just hope this won’t affect our friendship because it’s very important to me… you’re very important to me.”

John searched Sherlock’s face to gauge his friend’s reaction. He appeared to be listening intently, with (as usual) no emotion on his face.