*Chapter One*

“Class, we have a new student.” The teacher announced while Hazel looked up from her book to gaze upon a gorgeous face that would haunt her dreams for the rest of her natural life.  

Thick, black, straight hair fell messily along sharp, cheek bones and a square jaw. Full, red lips were pulled into a sly grin with eyes that she would never forget; eyes that would cause all the mayhem that would soon overwhelm her life; piercing, red, eyes.

They stared intently at each other for a while before his gaze returned to the teacher who was again speaking. Hazel tried to listen to what she was saying but those eyes bugged her. She had never seen such a colour and she wondered why the other students weren’t whispering and pointing it out. Her classmates were shallow and ready to pick out any thing that set someone apart, like red eyes.

“…sit next to Hazel.” The teacher said and Hazel finally heard her words. She was confused for a moment before she remembered that the boy that use to sit beside her had suddenly killed himself less than a week ago. Red Eyes’ smirk fell a little but walked over to her nonetheless, their eyes never parting. His eyes were fiery and filled with mischief but cold and dead at the same time. Hazel wondered what could cause someone’s eyes to be such a color?

They held each other’s gazes until Red Eyes smoothly slipped into the seat beside her, sitting as far as he could on the other side of the table. Hazel gave him a confused and annoyed look but tried to pay more attention to the teacher as she rambled on about history in Greece and Rome. She, however, found herself constantly sneaking glances at Red Eyes. He held the same blank expression as when he had sat down but it seemed now like he was forcing it to be blank, like he was trying to hide some feeling.

The rest of the class passed in the same way but it was making Hazel more and more uncomfortable. Never once did his eyes leave the front of the class room and it unnerved her how long he could hold still, not even his fingers tapped on the desk Hazel stood quickly as the bell rang and was half way to the door before most of her classmates were even out of their chairs but the teacher stopped her.

“Miss King, will you please show Mr. Stone around during your lunch break?” She asked and Hazel nodded politely even though she was screaming angrily on the inside. Lunch was the only time Hazel had alone with her friends and she relished it. She didn’t want some new kid barging in on her life.

“Sure thing Ms. Heart.” Hazel smiled and motioned for Red Eyes to follow her.

He followed about a foot behind her, close enough so that he wouldn’t lose her in the crowded hall. Hazel scoffed at the looks being thrown their way, both at the glares towards her and the winks at him. She wondered how these girls didn’t see his red eyes and how they hadn’t made a single acknowledgment of it. The girls in her school lived off gossip and always noticed any slight flaw, no matter how tiny, and you think red eyes would have attracted someone’s notice.

“Do you have a locker yet?” Hazel asked him as she stopped at her own, twisting the combination and shoving her books in. She saw him shake his head in her peripherals and sighed deeply. “You can use mine for lunch.” She said but immediately shut her mouth when she realized he wasn’t carrying anything.

“Hazel?” A hesitant voice asked behind her. She turned to see her best friend, Jen, giving her a suspicious look, her eyes darting from her to Red Eyes. She sighed in relief upon recognition and went to stand beside her, never taking her gaze off of him.

“Who’s this?” She asked Hazel who let out an exasperated sigh.

“Jen meet-“Was as far as she got before being interrupted.

“Erin.” He said and Hazel almost gasped at his deep voice. He took her hand and pulled it up to his lips, kissing it lightly like someone from long ago would. Hazel was just as entranced by Erin as Jen was until she heard the giggle that escaped Jen’s lips and immediately looked away, rolling her eyes.