A Different Shade of Beige

My home and I seem completely different, however, when you observe the small aspects and characteristics of my house, it is almost a mirror image of me. My home is simple and average. It is not too large, not too small and it fits right in with the neighborhood. Like most other houses in Irvine, it is a cookie-cutter house; three other families on my street have the exact same floor plan, just a different color. Even though I seem the same as most people in Irvine- I do well in academics, I want to get in to a highly ranked school, I spend most of my time studying- I am really just a different shade of beige. I paddle outrigger canoes, I listen to electronic dance music, and have other little "quirks" that are unique. My home, like myself, is also imperfect; it has awkward angles in the corners of walls, almost every room is slightly sloped so that chairs and tables aren't level, and after every minor earthquake, slight cracks in the drywall and paint on walls and ceilings appear. It's all the little imperfections that make it a home, and not simply a sterile box that we call "our house." Just like what makes us human. Just like what makes us a different shade of beige.

Author's Note:

So this will be a collection of different vignettes from the past and present. The main theme will be my childhood, while some other topics may appear here and there. I'll try to write a couple a week, but I understand that when I am forced to write, it's a lot worse than when I choose to. Basically, I won't force myself to write, but I will try to as much as possible. If I have a single goal, well two goals, they would be 1. That you can learn something about me, which I feel is rare on these websites. When's the last time you knew anything about the author of your favorite story? 2. That I will be able to see myself grow, both as a writer and as a person. Thank you all for reading, and please rate and review.