1. Lost Merman Wanted; if Found, Please Return to the Ocean to Save the World

The familiar sound of waves lapping the shore was the first thing you noticed when you regained consciousness. Then came the smell of salt-water and the cool sensation of water lapping at your feet.

And suddenly you also felt like someone just set your heart into overdrive as it pounded against your ribcage and tried to break free. Not to mention your exhausted lungs felt like deflated balloons and that your mouth and nose both burned with dehydration when you tried to take a breath of air in.

I'm getting this weird sense of Déjà vu from all of this... It's happened before? You could only remember feeling this fatigued once before- not even when your cook gave you ample amounts of their homemade mystery drink- when you almost drowned. Your eyelids fluttered as you could feel the light of the moon shining down on you.

"Oh good, I thought you were dead."

You turned your head towards the sound of the voice and opened your eyes. The boy's brown hair was dripping yet, and yet still stood in gravity defying spikes. Bright and innocent blue eyes stared back at you and you could feel a little bit of a maternal instinct bubbling inside you at the sight of them. The boy in front of you couldn't be more than 15, he reminded you a bit of the newest Cabin Boy. They were both young with a taste for adventure and an eagerness to prove themselves. The boy's eyes had an unjaded innocence that you only fleetingly saw in the Cabin Boy's however.

This kid managed to pull me in?

You were at least his size or more, and if you were sucked in by a whirlpool you had to imagine that you were pretty far out in the ocean. You pushed yourself so you were sitting up. The last guy was a merman so I can get that, but this kid is just- your thoughts cut off mid sentence as you lowered your eyes to where the kid's legs should have been. Instead, a blue tail with a dorsal fin flopped lazily in the ocean's waters.

"Another merman. You're kidding." What's weirder? The fact that I've been saved by a merman or the fact that it's happened twice? Maybe this is just some rum induced dream. As much as you wanted to delude yourself into believing the second statement, you knew that you couldn't imagine the aches all over your body or your dehydration.

"Another?" Sora's entire face lit up and his tail splashed in the water in excitement. "Ooh, oooh, did the last one have brown hair, a scar on his nose, grey-blue eyes, and a grumpy face that looked like a crab pinched his tail?"

You pursed your lips as the boy accurately described every major characteristic of the merman that you could remember. Asides from how warm his lips were on mine like shouldn't he be colder- wait. Stop. You're in front of a kid. "Yea, that sounds about right," you answered after you stopped fantasizing about that hella-fine man/fish that saved you last time.

"That's my brother! He would have stuck around and made sure you were all right, but he probably didn't want to get you tied into Mer business- you kinda owe him a life debt and a bunch of other stuff," the boy explained vaguely when he noticed your confused expression. "He's a little grumpy-looking, but he's really nice! His name is Squall Leonhart, but we usually call him Leon. My name's Sora, it's nice to meetcha!" The young merman extended his hand out to you without reservation and you reached out towards him.

"Just call me (Name)," you said as you grabbed onto his hand and gave it a little shake. Huh, so he's warm too, it wasn't just that Leon guy.

"I don't have to call you Captain (Name)?"

You smirked a little and shook your head. "You're not part of my crew. Though how did you know I was a captain?"

"I saw the hat near you after the whirlpool hit, sorry I couldn't save it."