Chapter 18: A Way Out

Corey's POV

The taxi stopped in front of an apartment building in downtown Waterloo. I hadn't been back here since I was in my teens, but it still looked the same. I ran these streets. I openly drank, smoked, snorted, and fucked in plain sight not really caring who saw. I shuddered at the memories.

I stepped out of the cab and zipped up my North Face jacket. I walked to the trunk and retrieved my suitcase and backpack. It was cold and my breath fogged around me as I counted out the fare plus the tip and handed the bills to the driver. He thanked me and drove off into the night. I didn't realize I was holding my breath, I let it out slowly. I hadn't seen Mattie in three months, but Addison and I talked almost daily. She had become one of my best friends. Addison told me about Mattie's whereabouts and who she was with. It broke my heart to imagine my Mattie like that. But I could tell that Addison's wound ran deeper than my own. I spent many nights on the phone with her and listened to her cry and wishing that I was in Iowa with her. I needed to help Addison and Mattie in any way that I could, and now I was here.

I pulled my iPhone out of the pocket of my jeans and opened up a text to Addison.

I'm here. What's your apartment number?

Addison responded almost instantly.

It's 206. Mattie is here. Just know that she's different from the last time you saw her.

I frowned as I read her response. How different did Mattie look? Would I not recognize her?

I entered the building and walked into the elevator, pressing the button for the second floor. The doors shut. My hands were shaking. Why was I so nervous to see Mattie again? I missed her so much and I wished for this day many times and now it was happening. Maybe I thought that I wouldn't get this chance ever again.

The doors opened up and I stepped out. I only had to walk about three doors down the hallway and I found number 206. I knocked on the door. It opened. Addison stood in the door with a small smile on her face. She looked the same. Her glasses were perched on her straight nose. Her black hair was in a ponytail. I walked over the threshold and kissed Addison politely on the cheek. "It's good to see you." She nodded gently and moved away from the door. She shut it behind her.

"C-Corey?" I thought I had imagined her voice, it was so small and raspy. I turned and there she was. My Mattie. As soon as I laid my eyes upon her, my heart broke into a million pieces. She had lost weight. Addison's borrowed clothes hung off of her body. Her hair looked thinner. But then I saw her eyes. They used to be crystal clear blue; so blue it was like the radiated light. But now, that light was gone. I saw nothing. Then I noticed that tears were streaming down her face.

I dropped my bags where I stood and they landed with a dull thud onto the hardwood floor. Then, in three long strides, I crossed the room and took her into my arms. I felt her body give out and I was holding her up as she sobbed into my chest. Her fingers dug into my jacket as she shook. I wanted to cry. I needed to cry, but I had to be strong right now. Mattie couldn't see the hurt that she caused me. But, on the other hand, she still molded just right into my arms. And as I held her, I realized that she was still my Mattie and she still fit with me in all the right places. But, she was sick and she needed help. I kissed the top of her head and ran my fingers through her hair.

After a few minutes, I held her at arms length and sighed. "Maddison Rae James. I'm so glad I found you. Where the hell have you been?"

Mattie looked at me and gripped my fingers. "Everywhere."

***

It had been hours since Addison said good night to us. We sat on the couch as close as possible with a bowl of popcorn and late night TV on. We weren't paying attention to it, but we were paying attention to each other. Her lips still felt like velvet against my own. She still gave me butterflies. I couldn't get enough of Mattie right now. I was drinking all of her in.