Memories

When Ian pulls up in the driveway of his best friend's old house, he doesn't expect to be hit by a wave of nostalgia as strong as it is.

"We're here," Anthony, seated next to Ian in his car, announces the obvious.

The journey has been exhausting since the duo chose to drive for 6 hours rather than fly - a rather stupid thing to do but enjoyable nonetheless.

"Let's rest for a bit and then we can start filming," Ian says while stepping out of the car. He stops in from of the house, taking in the surroundings and reminiscing his high school days of fooling around with Anthony.

It has been a long time since they last visited the place. Their busy schedules don't allow the two men to spend time in Sacramento outside of work. It's almost always "fly, shoot, pack up, return."

But this time is different. They're not in their hometown to shoot just any video - it's for their 10th Anniversary for god's sake!

"My mom said she'll stay at a friend's place until we're done with filming. She didn't wanna bother us," Anthony informs and Ian just smiles in reply.

Leezah has always been very understanding and smart when it came to Smosh.

The guys take their bags and finally step inside to be immediately greeted by a warmth only home can truly provide. Sure Anthony doesn't live here anymore, and the house doesn't even belong to Ian, but it doesn't matter. This small building where they shared the best times of their life will always be their home.

Quickly, the taller man sets down his bag and rushes up to his room and breaks into a smile on seeing it exactly as he'd left it.

"This is where it all started," Ian remarks and slings an arm over Anthony's shoulder.

Their eyes meet and there's a certain warmth attached to each of their expressions. A certain inexplicable euphoria.

~

"Finally! I'm actually kind of proud of you for completing this without bursting into laughter," Ian exclaims as he flops down on the bed.

"Yeah it only took like 8 takes," Anthony jokes and sets the camera in it's case.

"What time is it?"

"8:30, why?" Anthony cocks an eyebrow at Ian.

"I'm hungry. Besides we didn't have anything after the drive. Let's order from that pizza place we loved!" Ian can be such a child when it comes to food.

"Great idea except I'm vegan, dumbass!"

Ian doesn't get a chance to retaliate with a snarky comeback because he is interrupted by his phone ringing.

"It's Ryan," Ian says and accepts the call. "He wants to know what time they should arrive tomorrow. Is 9 am fine?" Anthony nods and Ian discusses further details with him while Anthony calls the pizza place to see if they have introduced any new vegan alternatives.

~

Both Ian and Anthony know very well that they should go sleep instead of watching this weird movie, sprawled out on the ancient couch, since the crew would arrive pretty early next morning. But neither of the two men says anything in fear of ruining the perfect atmosphere.

It feels good.

Just the two of them watching some random movie that doesn't make sense partly because it is senseless but mostly because they've spent the entire hour and a half talking about their teenage years.

When Smosh was just getting started and Ian still worked at Chuck-e-Cheese. They recalled the old times - the good and the bad, the joyous and the ugly, the ups and downs. But most importantly how they experienced it all together.

It's been a great 10 years for Smosh, and even better 17 years for their friendship.

"Hey Anthony?" Ian calls out softly, breaking the comfortable silence that had set in between them.

"Mhmm?"

"I love you man," Ian turns his head sideways and blue eyes meet brown ones, grins plastered on both faces.

"Someone's feeling emotional at 2 in the morning, I can't remember the last time I had to deal with sentimental Ian," Anthony smirks but then his expression softens. "I love you too Ian."

Ian stays quiet for a while but then blurts out the question bothering him, "We'll always be friends right? Like if Smosh ends...you won't forget about me, right?" The anxiety is evident on Ian's face and Anthony feels overwhelmed because they rarely have conversations like these. He, however, knows exactly what to do.

He engulfs the little dork/his best friend in a tight hug and Ian returns the embrace. "Are you kidding me? We're soulmates!" He pauses for a moment and pulls back to stare into the electic blue orbs that he's grown so familiar with.

"Always and Forever."