The Dreams of Those Who Once Ruled

A traitor. The news kept them silent as they made their way back to Susan's home. Edmund was particularly quiet, almost angry. He was lost in thought, and still red from what Isabela had said to him. 

By the time they reached the house, it was supper time. Lucy bustled about the kitchen, throwing together whatever she could. They ended up with a salad and a pickle sandwich for Susan, who told Lucy is she didn't get her pickle sandwich she would kick her out of the house. Caspian laughed and wrapped his arm around her, Susan flinching slightly. But none noticed that and instead watched Lu hurry to find what she needed. 

They sat around the table, and then Caspian spoke. "If one of these women will betray us, I feel we should distance ourselves from them. Slowly, of course, since we do not want to seem as if we are doing so."

"No!" Edmund spoke quickly. "If we do that we will not be able to get inside their minds and discover what this betrayal is."

"I agree," Peter nodded at him. "If we do as Caspian suggested, we will loose important insight."

Lucy curled her lip into a smirk, and expression very out of palce on her sweet face. "It's because you two are thinking of your... romantic possiblities." The two blushed and she continued then normally. "But when we came here, we promised that Susan's health and protection would be our main priority. Therefore, I must agree with Caspian."

"Lu's right." Tumnus nodded. "I came here to help Susan. And I believe this is best."

"I can speak too," Susan narrowed her eyes. "And I have to agree with Pete and Ed."

Caspian turned his head down to read her expression. "You mean that, don't you?"

She nodded. "You have to remember, these girls are my friends. And I feel you need to get closer to them, as they said."

Lucy had worry displayed across her face. "But if they betray you-"

"From what I took from it, it will happen no matter what. Therefore, we might as well keep them close."

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," Edmund finished.

The agreement was made, and they headed to bed soon after. Ed and Caspian were rooming together, as were Peter and Tumnus. The girls shared her and Susan's old room.

-

The ground was covered in snow, and the sky dark and unerving. Edmund shivered as he saw the lamppost. 

"Ah, Edmund," A sickly sweet voice spoke. "Isn't it fitting  your friend woudl be the one to betray you? After all, you did betray your family."

"Be gone witch!" His voice was strong, yet wavered lightly. 

"You know it's true," her cool breath was felt on his neck, though she could not be seen. "But there is a way to save your sister from this. Join me again, and she will be protected."

"I will not."

She cackled. "I figured as much. Then you know you will end up hurting Leah. You don't want to do that, do you?"

"I will not join you!"

Edmund sat up quickly, covered in sweat. No, it couldn't be Leah. He would not allow it.

-

A cradle sat in the empty room. Susan smiled, walking towards it.

"My love," A voice said from behind, stopping her.

"Caspian," her eyes shone brightly. He grinned and walked next to her.

Reaching the cradle, she bent down to pick up the baby. 

"He looks just like me, doesn't he?" Caspian spoke from her side.

Susan turned her head, and gasped. Caspian had transformed into James, and his eyes shone with malice. "What... get away from me!" Her voice came out as less than a whisper.

"You know what? I think I want another," his voice caused her to feel sick. He grabbed her and dragged her toward a bed. "How about you? You want another?"

He laughed cruely,pushing her down.

"No! Stop! Stop!" Susan thrashed in her sleep. Lucy woke quickly, pulling her sister into a hug.

"It's okay Su! I'm here. It's okay," Lucy stroked her hair.

Her eyes fluttered open, and Susan wept into Lucy's shirt. "He-he..."

"He will not get to you. I promise, I will not let him hurt you."

-

AN: Here's a nother chapter, since it took me so long to get the last one out. Hope you like it!