how many?

AN: Hey guys it's been a long time I just been busy and utterly blank on what to write. Plus typing on phone for long, LONG, Long, long LO-NG time doesn't appeal to me....

Carry on....

-------------------------------------

With a shaking grip I answer the phone. "Hello this is Mary."

There’s a short pause followed by a male voice replying. "Hello Mary, I want you to come to the park. A ride to my home shall be there. A cherry red sports car, please come soon---" the line goes dead.

Soon I reach the park and saw the cherry red sports car waiting near where the trail meets the parking lot. I stroll to it and knock on the window. The driver was in a black suit and tie, and he wore dark sunglasses, "Are you Mary?" he asks in a low grumble of a voice that sounded like a grizzly bear crossed with a diesel engine.

"Yep, that's me!" I reply perky as ever.

"Get in..." he unlocks the door, and I climb in. He doesn't say a word more. He drives me for a long time. I can't see much out the tinted windows. Judging by how long the drive has been, we’re headed for the countryside. After an hour we hit a gravel road and we stop at some form of gate. The man rolls the window down and speaks into the intercom. "I have the woman, inform the boss."

The gate buzzed and opened slowly. To be honest, the entire fence is ten feet high at least and has barbed wire on the top. Tight security, much? I think to myself as we pulled up to the front of a yellow three-story country house. A new man opens the door. He wears the clothes of a ranch hand and big leather boots. His skin is tanned and, with his hazelnut eyes, he is handsome. He grabs my hand and helps me out of the car.

Hey there city kid, I’m Drew Lee. Welcome to the estate." he smiles, and I notice that he has perfect teeth too.

"H-hi, I’m Mary. I came here for the new position." I stutter, blushing.

"Well you can find me in the stables, Ma’am. Good luck!" With that he walked off down a gravel path veering around the huge home. The driver speeds off and leaves me in a cloud of dust. I cough and stumble onto the porch.

I knock feebly on the door and a bone thin old lady answers.

"Ms Mary, I presume." she says in a sour voice. She looks me up and down and scoffs, before opening the door to let me in. The house was lovely inside as it was outside; it had a little dust gathering in spots and the decor lacked in a woman’s touch. "Stay here and I will get him." the woman croaked in her awful voice. She waddles off, grumbling to herself.

I take off my coat and set down my bag, placing them off to the side. I hear some noises from the upper floor like footsteps, something moving.

"Ah, Mary! Good to see you!" the voice of Mr Gabson says, slipping into an accent again. I turn and see him wearing his hair rather messy and in simple street cloths of jeans and a light blue t-shirt.

"Nice to see you too, Mr Gabson-"

"Please, call me Dan. Well, let's get started shall we? Shall you meet the kids?"

"Kids?" I freeze in place.

"Yes, my children. You are their new nanny." he states matter-of-factly.

"N-nanny?" I stutter and he rushes to explain.

"Yes. I couldn't advertise it directly or I would get too many no good applicants that wouldn’t care about the children, me being a billionaire and all. I receive too much attention as it is."

"Billionaire?!" It all started to add up; the restaurant, the fence, the sports car, the weird interview questions and the way the waitress had acted. I was working for a billionaire.

"Do you not want the position?" he asks, looking rather sad.

"I guess I don't have much of a choice. Any more surprises?"

"Well... there is one-"

"What is it? Are your kids all that bad?"

"No it isn't that… it’s the... amount... that usually makes the people run away."

"It can't be that bad."

"Eight." he mumbles.

"Beg your pardon?"

"Eight," he says a little louder.

"How many?!" I ask, taken aback.

"Eight," he repeats, "Four boys and four girls."

Before I could say anything else, he hollers up the stairs, "Okay kids, come on down. I know you’re there."

The first pair of kids that came down the stairs looked rather similar to each other; the boy has messy chocolate brown hair and the girl has strawberry-blonde hair. They look to be about 8 years old. They stand at the foot of the steps and the girl flattens her crumpled pink tutu, looking at her partner with a pitiful look. 

"One set of twins; this is Liam and Shylee, the 8-year-olds." Dan says, gesturing to them.

The next that come down is an older blonde boy with the cutest little red head girl hiding her face into his shoulder.

"Here we have the oldest, Kyro the 14-year-old, and the youngest triplet, Skyla, age 5."

A pair of girls, the other set of twins, come walking down the stairs. One had her hair up in a high blonde ponytail, and the other with a mess of thick wild blonde curls. They both have bright blue eyes.

"Cathrin and Beatrice, the second oldest at 11."

The last two were small redhead boys that ran down the stairs and looked like polar opposites. They both had similar features, like hair and eye color, freckles and they shared a nose but they had nothing more in common. One boys hair was combed neatly, the other’s stick up in odd places. One wore a neat red shirt and the other has a stained blue one.

"And the other two triplets, Simon and Jared."

I smile, trying to look friendly, but none of them seem all that happy at my being here.

"Well children, this is Mary," 

"Hi Mary," they mumbled.

"So Mary, will you take the job?" he asks, smiling hopefully.

I think about it. What choice do I have?  One way I’ll be a nanny and live in a huge house, the other I am homeless jobless and starving.

"I will," I say quietly.