The Talk

Later that day I walked down to Topanga's house, since my car got jacked up. As I hobble down the street I see Eric drive past me with the shape of an L on his forehead. I held up the middle finger at him.

The neighborhood was so quiet all, you heard was the clicking of my crutches and an occasional bird.

I turned up her driveway and pounded on the door.  Topanga's dad opened the door and growled at me. "Nice to see you, too. Can I come in? I need to talk to you."

"You got something to say to me after that little scene at the hospital?" He stepped out of the way and let me in. "Is Topanga here?" I said looking around. "No she went to Chubbie's to get-" I cut him off. "Chunky Monkey Double Fudge with Jimmies."

I sat down at the table across from him. "So, you needed to talk?" I shifted around in my seat. "Uh, yeah, why'd you hit Topanga? Why would you want to bruise that face? It's perfect."

He gave me a death glare, "You were making out with my daughter in a bed! I had to punish her somehow! It was my first reaction." "How often do you hit her. Before we started dating, I would see her come into school with hoods on like she did today. What about then?"

He stood up and walked around the table to my side. He shoved my chair over and started to pummel me.

The door creaked open and then I heard a scream. By then I was sure of two things, I had a broken nose and Topanga was home!

I felt a heavy weight fly off of me then I look up and see Mr. Lawrence standing there, arms folded, and Topanga screaming at him. I then see Topanga get hit in the face and fall to the ground next to me.

I pulled her tight against me as she curled up into a ball. I rub her back and then the pain in my foot decided to return.

She used the counter to hoist herself up. She helped me get up and she lead me to the backyard. It was early November and most of the leaves had fallen.

"Wait right here." She said as she went to the side of the house. She pulled out a hose and started spraying me. "Wait! One of my contacts fell out!" She stopped spraying me as she helped me look. I don't wear contacts.

"Wait, since when do you wear contacts?" When she looked up I was standing there with the hose. "I don't." I said and then I sprayed her.

Ten minutes later we looked like we just did 80 laps in a pool. "Wanna sleepover? I mean tomorrow's Saturday. You don't have to, I me-" she put her finger on my lips. "Just shut up before I say no. I'm gonna have to sneak out because my dad wouldn't let me leave the house that late."

I kissed her cheek. "I gotta head home, be careful when you sneak out. Love you." I grabbed my crutches and went on my way back home.

By the time I got home the sun was beginning to set. "Cor, where have you been?" Shawn said when I went up to my room. "Why are you on my bed?" He shrugged. "Your mom said I could stay over tonight and since Eric's not gonna be here we don't have to sleep in the same bed!"

I started to take off my wet shirt and it stuck to my body. "Shawn, listen, Topanga's father is abusing her. He hits her. Hard. I've seen it. She's hiding out here for tonight. Keep it low key, ok?"

He nodded in return. "So are we gonna bunk together or- oh. Oh! Matthews you dog!" I rolled my eyes. "I'm not gonna do anything with Topanga, I don't wanna hurt her."

Two seconds later Eric barged in. "Change of plans Cor. Jason got sick so I'm staying home tonight." I flopped backwards on my bed. "Eric, c'mon. Can't you do something else tonight? Topanga's hiding out here, it's a long story, and Shawn's staying over."

He shook his head. "Eric, how about Shawn bunks with you, and Topanga sleeps with me." Both Shawn and Eric looked at each other in disgust. "Ew!" They said in unison. "Too bad!" I said.

This is gonna be a long night.