Chapter Three

I slid my heels on and looked at myself in the full-length mirror

I slid my heels on and looked at myself in the full-length mirror. I wasn't ready for the day ahead. I never ever thought I'd be in this position, but here I am... I was burying Nick today... My worst fear had officially come true and in that very moment, I didn't think my life could get any worse. I had hit rock bottom.

I grabbed my purse off the bed as I heard my doorbell ring. I walked down the hallway and looked out the window. A black SUV was parked on the curb and I knew that was my ride. I couldn't put it off any longer, it was time. I went into the foyer and opened the door. "Miss Woods, General Wilson asked me to escort you to the ceremony," Logan said almost as if he were asking for approval.

"Very well and Lieutenant, could you do me a favor?" I ask as I lock my door.

He nods, "Yes, ma'am."

"Could you please stop calling me Miss Woods? I feel like an old lady when I hear that. Caroline will do just fine." That wasn't a lie. Every time I heard someone address me in that manner, I always felt like my mother and longer I did without that, the better off I'd be.

He smirks. "Only if you call me Logan."

"Deal."

We get in the car and head toward the funeral home. It's pretty silent throughout the entire car ride, which was fine with me, since I'm sure I'll be talking enough when I get in there. I had decided it was best to have the visitation and funeral the same day. It was best for everyone this way and so I thought...

Logan parked the car at the back of the parking lot in line with a row other SUV's, identical to one we were driving. Once the keys were out of the ignition, you would have expected us to get out and go inside, but instead, we just sat there for a few minutes. "I can tell you, without a doubt, there's going to be a lot of people here. I know for a fact that there's already 30 soldiers in there and I wanted to tell you, if at any point you need to step out for a minute or if for some reason, someone shows up that you don't want here, just tell me. I'll make sure that it's taken care of quietly."

At first, I didn't answer. I just stared out the window and kept my thoughts to myself, until one of them slipped. "So, does this happen to every fallen soldier's family?" I ask out of curiosity.

He glances at me. "What do you mean?"

"All of this... I mean, going to the airport, the General's arrival... All that?"

He nods. "Surprisingly, yes. The United States is proud of its military and they take great responsibility for the family of a fallen hero."

"That's very kind..." I mutter under my breath.

He sighs. "Look, Caroline, I know that you're the type of person who wants to deal with everything alone and in your time. I see how awkward you are around all of us and I just want to say that it's okay. I've dealt with this a few times too many. Everybody deals with it a different way and I promise, it'll get better."