13. Flying back

[RECAP: England captain Matt Curran plans to break up with his self-centred celebrity girlfriend Miggy and start seeing Cara, the student he met on tour in Sri Lanka, when he gets back to England. Meanwhile Cara is back home and has confessed the secret affair to her flatmate Fiona. Cara is now waiting for Matt to return from the tour.]

It was all over the headlines as Matt flew home. There were even reporters at Heathrow when he landed.

"Matt and Miggy's baby joy!" "Curran awaits a bumper delivery." "Another bouncer for England captain!"

It was pushed in Matt's face as he left the airport. He hadn't got a clue what was going on. He gritted his teeth, attempted to maintain his composure in front of the microphones thrust towards him, and answered any cricket related questions in the usual way. For others he repeated "no comment for now" in as civil a tone as he could manage.

He was supposed to have had plenty of training for media ambushes, but he'd never anticipated something like this.

"What's happening with you then?" one of the other players asked him as they finally shook off the press pack and made their way to the taxi rank.

"Journalists, you know what they're like," Matt said. He kept his face down so he could avoid catching anyone's eye. He was in no mood to sign autographs.

As they were waiting an apologetic looking minion from the England Cricket Board rushed up to him, apologising for not being there to meet him off the plane, and handed him a celebrity magazine as he was bundled into a taxi.

"Miggy Chatham reveals her joy as she and England cricket captain fiancé Matt Curran announce they're expecting their first child. The TV presenter and fashion icon invites us into her exquisite Kensington apartment to share her excitement and baby plans, including a sneak peak at the future nursery."

Jesus Christ. Endless photos of Miggy draped over her sofa and chairs, apparently "modelling the latest collection" from some up-and-coming designer while she made coy remarks to the sycophantic reporter. Matt couldn't even bring himself to finish reading it.

"You weren't expecting her to announce it?"

Matt had had no damn clue she was expecting. "No." He was curt, but he was furious. Someone should have been able to warn him about this. This magazine interview must have been carried out days ago. Weeks, even.

"Well, congratulations of course," the minion said awkwardly. "If you'd like us to issue a statement..."

"Nothing for now, thanks."

What the hell was Miggy playing at?

He just wanted to get home, alone, to his flat, and take his phone off he hook. Because he knew it was going to be ringing all night. Even though it was unlisted the press always got hold of it.

And his parents. What the hell must they think? They would want an explanation and he didn't even have one to give them.

He was hoping it was some kind of joke. Miggy doing a publicity stunt, trying to land a new contract or something. Because anything else was just too much to stomach right now.

Matt's own mobile phone was still switched off. He would have turned it on in the taxi but there was no way he was going to do so now. Just the thought of all the voicemails piling up was enough to make him want to hurl it out of the window.

The minion's mobile rang. Looking uneasy he answered it and handed it to Matt.

Thank God it was Chris. "Your phone's off. I figured why. I'll be round at seven with a bottle of the hard stuff unless you have other plans?"