Chapter 4

"Major, hello!" Ravi said, smiling in an attempt to hide the nervous energy. Major returned the smile briefly but stuffed his hands in his pockets, raising his eyebrows and pursing his lips in expectation of an answer.

"Liv...?" He asked again in hopes of jogging Ravi's memory. Ravi nodded in recognition and look at the ceiling searching for an excuse. Major diverted his eyes toward the ceiling in the direction of Ravi's. "Is the in the ceiling?" He continued. Ravi laughed and moved out of the closet holding the mice, closing the door behind him.

Ravi paced around the morgue, stopping near a freezer space and positioned his hand around the handle. "You know it's not a good time, Major." He yanked on the handle and the heavy door began to pull back, the metal slab with a white body bag emerging. Major narrowed his eyes, his hands still embedded into his pockets.

Ravi began to move from behind the open refrigerated slab and pushed forward a portable gurney. "I'd imagine she's with Clive." He answered matter of fact.

"Liv!" Another voice entered the room as Clive stuttered down the steps. He stopped to look around momentarily before muttering to himself. "Where the hell did she go?"

Ravi closed his eyes, scrunching his face as if in pain. Major, interested in the development, crossed his arms. Giving up on the ruse, Ravi's shoulders slumped forward as he felt Clive and Major's stares.

After a tick, he threw his gloved hands into the air in surrender. "Okay, okay! I have no bloody idea where Liv is!" The two continued to watch him. "I'm not her babysitter you know."

Clive started. "She's been acting strange all day. She left after questioning and I haven't seen her since."

Ravi clasped his hands together, still standing over the cold body. "I understand that, I do." He said while sighing throughout the sentence. "But I have a lot of work to do, and her absence is causing a bit of a backup."

Clive held out his hand in appreciation of his work. "Yeah, I understand. I'll catch back up with you soon on the Officer Perez case."

Major unfolded his arms and hung his head at thought of leaving without talking to her. "Well if you see her. Tell her I'm sorry. I did what I thought I had to do, and I never meant to hurt her." Both turned to leave but were stopped in their place by a figure in the doorway.

It was Liv.