Blue Eyes (a Zuko love story)

Hey guys! So this is my first story on wattpad, and I'm really excited about it. This is my first fanfic that I've ever written, so I tried to stay as true to the story as possible, but there will be a few changes (considering I added in an entirely new character and everything). So, I hope you enjoy my Avatar The Last Airbender Fanfic ^.^

Chapter 1

The Fire Bender That Preferred the Moon

  Ruka looked up from her canvas reluctantly. She never liked being interrupted mid painting. And she was really getting into this one. It was filled with vibrant, hot colors such as red, yellow, gold, bronze, orange, and a tint of electric blue. It was regal and bold, and also something she didn’t feel like taking a break from, even if for just a few moments. “What”, she demanded before bothering to see who was taking time away from her painting. “Watch the attitude. Imagine if that was Azula who walked through the door. You’d have ended up with another burn on your hand”, said Mai, leaning against the wall. Ruka smiled at her elegantly gothic cousin.

  “Your right. Sorry for snapping”, Ruka said apologetically. “What brings you here?” Mai made sound that sounded like a hybrid between a groan and a snarl. “Azula wants you to get ready for the ball. It starts in two hours”, she explained. Ruka looked at her half-finished painting longingly. Mai rolled her eyes and grabbed her hand. “Come on. It’s not going to go anywhere.” And with that, Ruka was dragged away so she could paint faces instead of canvases.

  “There you are! Hurry and do my make-up. You’re way better at it than me”, Ty Lee instructed, doing a random cartwheel to the make-up mirror. Ruka smiled at Ty Lee knowingly. Never again would she trust her with eye shadow; not sense she got a hold of it and tried to make herself look like a dragon. It didn’t work. Ruka began carefully applying bright shades of pink and red on Ty Lee’s eyelids. “It’s a shame that you HAVE to put all this gunk on your face. It covers your natural beauty”, Ruka exclaimed. Ty Lee beamed at the compliment, as she always did. Meanwhile, Mai was applying a crap load of black eye make-up. “You too, Mai. You don’t need that much eye liner.” Mai ignored her and continued adding more and more black to her features.

  “Chop, chop ladies. Let’s not wait for the grass grow”, said an impatient voice from the doorway. Ruka had just finished Ty Lee’s make-up and was moving on to her own. “Easy for you to say, Azula. You have servants to do the dirty work for you”, she muttered to herself. Azula flipped her wavy hair back and walked over to her side. “What did you just say?” Ruka fumbled with the eye pencil, nearly messing up in the process. “Hand it over”, Azula commanded. She did as told and allowed Azula to take over the operation. Standing this close to the girl Ruka supposedly called a friend made her tense.

  Ever sense they were little, it was obvious that Azula felt threatened by Ruka. While Mai and Ty Lee had grown to become exceptionally skilled fighters, Ruka was the only one other than Azula who could fire bend. It probably wouldn’t have been as bad if Azula felt that Ruka was at a lower level than herself. But at the end of the day, Ruka was just better. So Azula always made it her mission to make her life a living hell.

  “There. Finished. Take a look.” Ruka was surprised at the princess’ skills. The way she had done the make-up really made Ruka’s eyes pop. Not that they need that boost as it is. Her eyes had always made her stick out like a sore thumb. They were blue. Very blue. Like royal blue with gold and green specks swimming around inside. They were beautiful, yes, but she never felt comfortable knowing that everyone else in the fire nation had either brown, gold, or the occasional red eyes. People were constantly questioning her lineage.