Chapter 2 The Freedom Fighters

So, I'm sorry that I haven't posted a knew chapter in awhile. I've been out of town to visit family and stuff. But I'm back and ready to role! Well, enjoy ^.^

Chapter 2

The Freedom Fighters

(Ruka’s POV)

  It’s been three days sense I left home. Part of me wishes I could return, but I know that won’t be safe. If I go back, I will only be causing death to both me and my father. I can’t believe I’m actually worrying about that bastered. He destroyed my identity. He lied to me. He forced me to live in this fantasy where everything was all rainbows and butterflies. Yet, I still find myself hoping he’s okay.

  I’ve also been wondering about Azula. Has she told anyone about my secret? Has she kept quiet about it? Has she gone and sent a search party after me? God, I hope not. What are Mai and Ty Lee thinking right now? Are they worried? Are they angry with me? Has Azula filled their heads with a bunch of delusions and lies? And then of course, there’s Zuko.

  I felt bad, leaving him there to wonder about what I had said to him, what I’m doing. I can see it now, his imagination running wild on top of trying to concentrate on his duel. Part of me wishes I hadn’t said goodbye to him before I left. But then again, someone needed to know that I was fleeing for my safety. I just hope he’s okay.

  Another predicament crossed my mind on my way out of town. I have absolutely no clue where I’m going. I’ve just been traveling aimlessly from town to town, eating at cheap restaurants and sleeping uninvited in people’s backyards and barns. Maybe I’ll just keep going ‘til I get to the Earth Kingdom. Perhaps Ba Sing Se (sp?). It is fairly far though, I don’t have enough money to keep traveling forever…

  My train of thought was stopped when I noticed an old woman covered in dirt and rags coughing hysterically. She had one hand covering her mouth and the other clinging to the cloth of her dress. She seemed to be in so much pain. I looked at my canteen and made a snap decision.

  “Ma’am. Please, have some water. You need it more than I do”, I said, extending the canteen out to her. Instead of taking it gratefully like most people would, the woman gave me a cold hard stare that sent a shiver down my spine. It was like Azula was channeling herself through this woman just to scare me. “Scram, little girl. I don’t need your pity”, she said between coughing fits. “I only wanted to help out of sincerity, not pity”, I retorted, slightly offended. She stopped herself from coughing with some struggle and looked me strait in the eye.

  “Let’s see what we have here. Young, yes. Pretty face too. Judging by your clothes I’d say you are Fire Nation. Yes, there’s no doubt about that. Rich too. Very rich. Let me guess, you ran away from home because life as a spoiled rotten child wasn’t cutting it for you. Silly girl, you don’t even realize how good you had it!”

  I stepped back in shock, but then an angry flame was ignited inside me, and I lost it. “Bitch! You don’t even know the circumstances! Who are you to judge my decision! You don’t even know me!” the old woman only smirked at me and said, “And who are you to come up to me, assuming I’m some troubled old woman who needs help. I don’t need your help, little girl. Now scram.” I stormed off in a heat of rage. I was only trying to help. She didn’t have to give me some bazar life lesson.

  I had been walking for quite some time now. The sun had turned the sky pink and orange, letting me know that it would be dark soon. I yawned tiredly. I needed to find shelter, but I was in the middle of nowhere. The only sign of civilization was this road that had been carved out by previous travelers. Surely if I continued on word I could find a place to stay before nightfall. “No way, that’s too risky”, I said to myself. I looked around to see if there was anywhere I could sleep and be safe.