Chapter Seven

"Are you actually going with everyone to Fred's mountain?" Hiro asks you. He secretly hopes that you aren't. He can't bring himself to go, and he hopes that you're not going to leave him behind. You're not paying much attention as you bend down, scoop up the snow, and then toss it over your head. You laugh to yourself, spinning around in circles. Hiro smiles at you. You'd think he would be used to you now that you've been hanging with him for a week and a half, but you still surprise him everyday. You were daring, incredible, and your love for winter was clear in every little thing you did. "___, are you going to Fred's mansion?"

"Huh? Oh, I don't know. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, so I haven't asked. I'll probably ask when my mom is on her second piece of pecan pie."

Hiro chuckles. As you pass the fountain in the center of the campus, you jump up onto the snow covered ledge. Hiro walks alongside you on the ground, admiring how your snow covered hair glistens in the sunlight. You hold your arms out and slowly skip around the slick surface. Your boot lands directly on a sheet of ice that was hidden in the snow. "Whoa!" You slip towards the icy fountain water with a gasp.

Hiro immediately reaches out and grabs your waist to steady you. Your hands fall to his shoulder as you catch your breath. "Whoa," Hiro mimics you, "are you alright?"

You smile. "Yeah, thanks." Your bright eyes look into his deep brown ones. Hiro swallows as he scans your face. "I wasn't paying much attention there."

"You never pay much attention whenever there's snow around," Hiro concludes. You blush and dip your head down. He barely notices the snow falling around you as he takes in every detail of your face. Your pink cheeks, your eyelids that are covered in a bit of sparkling eyeshadow, you bright pink lips that are curled up into a smile, your hair that frames your face perfectly, holding it together like it's a work of art. Which, in Hiro's eyes, it is. He's never been one to stare at girls or even pay attention to them at all, but you bring all of that out. In his eyes, you are the most beautiful, perfect girl in San Fransokyo, and probably the entire world, actually. Hiro's hands are still frozen on your hips. "I really like you."

Your eyes widen and the blush creeps further up your cheeks. "You like me?" you squeak in surprise.

His face pales. "I said that out loud, didn't I?"

You laugh nervously. "Yeah, you did." He looks down and groans. "But it's okay! I like you, too."

Hiro looks up as the relief floods him. "Really?"

"I really do," you say, dropping your hands down to his. You lift them off of your waist and jump off of the fountain. "You're cocky, sure, but you're really sweet." There's more about him that you want to say. Your gap-toothed smile, your big brown eyes, your laugh, your determination. . .

He offers you a lopsided grin that shows the gap in his teeth. You return the smile, stepping closer to him. "And you are the nicest, funniest, most beautiful girl I've ever met," he says. "You're like a walking winter. Or a snowflake, or something."

You laugh. "Is that a bad thing?"

"No," he replies. "I think it's what made me like you. You're definitely one of a kind, Snowflake."

You blush at the new nickname. "Are you just going to call me that from now on, Hamada?"

"Only if you call me Hiro," he answers, intertwining his fingers with yours.

"Okay, Hiro," you say softly. He steps away, keeping only one of your hands in his. His heart is still thudding in his chest as you walk back to the cafe with him. In just a week, he has somehow fallen incredibly hard. Your love for winter hurt him with memories that would forever linger in his memory at first, but now he has never been happier. Your hand was in his, and even though he hadn't asked, he knew that you wanted to be his, and that was perfect to him.